getting grass to grow again under burn-pile

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RD7, May 1, 2011.

1. RD7

RD7 LawnSite Member

Last time I had a massive brush-pile blaze, it took years for grass it to fill back in and grass seed would not take root at first. I have read that ash is high in pH and soluble salts, but I haven't found how to get the soil back in shape. Any suggestion to get the soil back faster?

RD

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Till it up and add compost if you can get it...

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

High pH can be lowered with lime. You can check out your macro nutrient levels.
    Home Depot has a cheap soil test kit for twenty dollars.

Like SmallAxe said, ammending with soil that's alive with nutrients and microbes should fix the problem.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No it can't.

Worthless junk.

Agreed .... with the addition that you should collect as much of the ash as possible and spread it out over a much larger area before tilling.

5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Fires can actually be beneficial. Like Kiril said, spread that ash around really well and try to get it in the soil.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody always said, that controlled burns, produced the greenest grass ever... The ashes certainly helped, although I suspected with all the debris burned away, 'and the ashes' combined... is really what made the illusion so sensational...

I agree with Kiril... grab a blower and disperse those ashes, for the benefit of a larger area... :)