Getting harder and harder to make it?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 3rd tractor generation, Jan 12, 2006.

1. 3rd tractor generation

3rd tractor generation LawnSite Member

It's almost been one year since I started my maintenance business, and in my area you can hop on main st. drive for 10 minutes and you will see anywhere from 5-12 landscapers. So for those of you who have been around for a few years is it getting more and more difficult or is it just that nobody has the time to do there own yardwork anymore? I am currently working on a contractors license so I cas start a tree service in the slow times, but should I just concentrate on an industry that is somehow regulated?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here tree work isn't regulated. Same as you, after so many saturated the market many went to trees. We only had a few tree outfits less than 8 years ago and now they are all over the place. Some have specailzed into deep root fertilization to reduce competition or olive tree spraying. Now Tru-Green and a few othe rlarge companies are getting a foothold so most of the good commerical contracts are going away and everyone is competing for resi. It will change I think once hiring begins to pick up in other jobs. Automotive companies are still laying off, workers and executives alike so there may be a shift for awhile. Its cyclical like anything else.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

No it just means that the flash in the pans equipment will be for sale cheap. Get Many calls every summer from clients of start ups. They quit coming, subpar work. Do good work show up and you are in.

4. paulge

paulge LawnSite Member

Ditto, RHETT!!!!

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yeh it seems like the higher the temp goes the more work you seem to find because the partimers dont wanna sweat .

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

these companies come and go, like Rhett said though

7. 3rd tractor generation

3rd tractor generation LawnSite Member

but is it just me or are there twice as many people as 5 or even 3 years ago that decide they are going to make a go at it. Maybe since I wasnt personally in the business then i just didnt pay attention

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think the reason that there is so many is because of a couple reasons
    1. unemployment is very high right now.
    2. equipment is getting cheaper and cheaper
    3. people see that it is really a non-regulate business where people really don't need licenses.

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

amen brother:waving:

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NO, you're not seeing landscapers, you are seeing lawn monkeys and there is a big difference. So, the difference between my company (along with a lot of others on here also) and the lawn monkeys is we do professional work for professional companies and get paid a professional rate...while the lawn monkeys just make their beer money. We have been Blessed as my busines increases each year.