Getting Heavy Gravel/Rocks Cheap or Salvage

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by judith, Jan 4, 2005.

1. judith

judith LawnSite Member

I'm trying to fill in a slowing sinking area of dirt in my property. It's sinking due to both being behind a sea wall which inevitably pull some dirt out no matter how "sealed" it is and the giant crabs we have in the area which dig large (10" diameter) holes and eat the tree roots.

After talking to many, one solution seems to be to put a foot deep or more of heavy (such as river gravel) rocks in this area with the notion that they will sink and sink and finally stop eventually when the crabs give up and are too big to get through the seawall. This would allow a relatively firm surface and draining and more or less solve my problem.

I can't however find heavy rocks that don't cost a fortune for this project in my area. I've done the first round of research with Conrad Yelvington and Home Depot and the cheapest for a heavy pile of rocks to cover 15 by 25, one foot deep seems to be several thousand dollars up to the Conrad quote of needing 100 tons at $70 a ton. I ain't paying 7000 for a pile of rocks for this.

Is there a way to find a cheaper rock or get this from a salvage location instead of "clean" rocks -- I don't need pretty, just heavy and large . . .

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If it won't be showing( you want to cover with dirt)talk to a demolition company for chunks of broken concrete and cinder block. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to get rid of some.
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, what he said...BUT...WATCH OUT. Make sure that you ARE NOT breaking any environmental rules, either local, state or federal. That would cost you an awful lot. Ya don't want to be in trouble with the law.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

talk to your lacal block and brick yard. they always have broken block and brick to get rid of and they are "clean" so you find it easyer coming to the environmental rules in your area. you need to find out what the environmental rules are for your area first before you do anything. they may side with the crabs and not let you do anything at all