Getting Hired

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EMackIV, Dec 1, 2003.

1. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member

First of all let me say Ive learned so much the past few days reading these forums its really amazing. I have been mowing lawns for family members and a few friends of the family since I was about 12. I am looking to try and get hired by a company for next summer. This past summer I worked for our city doing landscape work I'm just trying to look at different options for next summer. So my question is just what is the best way to go about getting hired by someone. Thanks for your patience.

EJ M
  2. jgautreau

jgautreau LawnSite Member

Ask to speak with the hiring manager, fill out an app, and call back to show you are interested. Don't count on them calling you. Employers like to see initiative.
  3. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member

I was actually trying to look at getting hired with one of the smaller businesses I don't know if they would have a hiring manager or not I will have to look into it. Thanks
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I would fill out an app and call back after a few days, if you are looking for a landscaping job talk to the person who you worked for and see if they would let you take some photos of some work you have done, put together some sort of portfolio you can take to your interview
  5. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

GO to the smaller company and ask if they are going to need anyone for the upcoming season. It is that simple!!!!!! Keep in touch with the owner. Hope this helps
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know about where you are, but around here, i look for: Have you had a job that you didnt get fired from, do you drink exessivly, or smoke crack. Have you had 80 jobs in the past fiev years? Its not that difficult to get hired, just call back as others have said, and show up for work on time, dont just not call, and come in the next day.
  7. zz218

zz218 LawnSite Member

emackiv, you idin't mention how old you are. Their might be workmans comp insurance issues if you are not 18.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Try to start with a small company for 1 season and try it out to see how you like it. If your under 16, your going to need to find a small lco who dosent mind underage help and you can just get paid under the table.

When you get a job-show them you want to work. Make yourself stand out from the other guys on the crew. Instead of wasting time when the lawn is done-be the guy sprinting to the truck to grab the blower and get to work.

Bosses notice this and will soon sepparate you from the other workers.

Good Luck
  9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Go through the phone book and pick several Lawn & Landscape businesses that are "established" and nearby, you probably won't want to drive 1 hour to work and back everyday.

Put on a nice shirt and go to these places in person. Have your drivers license and social security card in hand. Prepare a resume listing your talents and knowledge, and a work history which includes some references.

"Yes Sir, No, Sir, (maam) Please and Thank you" are words that will go a long way.

You WILL get hired, unless there is some sort of serious problem on your public record, and even then you might get hired. Most of the time, I am thrilled when an applicant has these basics that I mentioned.

Good luck.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Good points Gene-your appearance does matter and those little words go a long way you job hunt.

make sure you have 3-4 good references and if possible-do not pick family members. rather a past emplyoyer, neighbor, somone who you did an odd/end for. etc.......