Getting Homes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MrFangs, Aug 6, 2005.

1. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

A lot of times I'm cruising down a street and notice neighborhoods I've never even known were there.

How do you all go about finding neighborhoods to advertise in?

I don't want to drive around like some weirdo for 8 hours a day, just looking for neighborhoods to advertise in!

Also, if the grass is brown, do you skip the advertising? (Strictly for the mowers)

Thank you!

2. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

i don't ride around looking for work, but i try to pay attention to whats going on around me, new housing developments are a sure target for me, i pick areas that i want to work in, avoid the areas i don't desire, have signs on your truck trailer that display your biz name and number, i have people stop and ask us to swing by there place all the time, and if were in the area we swing by, time permitting, if not i go back asap, and follow up.

do none of these people water in dry conditions?, do you do irrigation? if they don't care about the way there yard looks, the would probably not make the best customers, which i might add this is not the best time of the year to be acquiring new biz, but you can still secure some, especially new stuff.

best of luck

3. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Thank you for your response.

First, I not currently in business. I'm just scooping things out for next year. It's never to soon!

No, next year I will not be providing irrigation. I do plan to however in 2007. (My 2nd year of business)

I'm just frustrated because I have been looking at the typical statistic for flier response here, (1%) and I don't have that many costumers to advertise too. (A rough estimate of what I already plan on advertising to next year is approximately 1,000-1,500 houses.)

I wish to get in the number of 3,000. That way, I should get about 30 calls, and close (hopefully) close to 20 of them.

My goal for 2006 is 20 residential costumers.

Have far do you travel from your shop/home to mow?

Any words of inspiration? :(

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I advertise either in the newspaper or the yellow pages, that takes care of all the nonsense with the targeting.

5. m.t.hands

m.t.hands LawnSite Member

newspaper adds

6. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

that is a reasonable goal, but to land 20/30 calls would in my opinion imply that your bidding a little low, i have a cousin that started 4 years ago, his first year he had 15 regular customers, and a ton of one-timers, which helps cover expenses, and remember you don't want every job bid accordingly

i live in a rural area and i drive 25 miles before i ever drop the gate for the most part , i do have some local people i do work for, the town i live in has a population of a little over 700, the town i do most of my business in is 200k +

my cousin used the local paper service directory his first year in early spring and he has grown to a respectable level in 4 years, i'm sorry to say but flyers seem to get low response, when i mention targeting an area, i am referring to doing alot of or all of your work in one area :) , new developments, limiting your road time you'll be hard pressed to find anyone thats gonna want to pay you road time :dizzy: you truck and equipment sitting in front of a yard that looks great is cheap easy advertising, remember to always be courteous to potential customers that may approach you, and they will.

best of luck

7. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

First, thank you all for your help. Especially A1 Lawncare.

I think it's more cold feet. (Like marriage) ALL the bad possibles go through your mind 45 times a minute, and the good thoughts don't even make an appearance.

I do see a billion-and-a-half lawn maintenance trucks driving around, though. So, somebody must be hiring them! :p

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont over look the homes that may not be "Rich" looking.

Some people just dont know how to keep there lawn.

I was informed that there is a ton of customers that are just blue collar workers.

True some people just dont care. but dont sell yourself short. Or them

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i have them inserted into the local paper, you can target specific areas that way, my fist 1200 flyers generated 14 customers and about 30 total calls...

this is on the high side of a return rate, but by targeting specific areas this way i think it works better,

10. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I agree. I'm not only looking at the rich neighborhoods. I'm just saying, a lot of houses around here have brownish-yellow lawns. :(