Getting in that last cut is becoming a tough sell

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Nov 1, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

So hear we are, Nov. 1st. Customers are getting tired of seeing us every week, let alone paying us. Grass is still green, but temps have dropped alot over the past week. Sky is spitting snow. We've only had one light frost so grass is still in need of mowing. Even with my arsenal of one liners such as "I'll chop up the leaves" (even though 1/2 the leaves are still in the trees),or "It's good to keep the grass short, encourages new growth in the spring" or "mowing it short will cause the leaves to blow onto the neighbors yard" people are still flinching when they see me pull up and it's snowing. Would be nice to get one last round in before cleanups begin. Please, let's try to refrain from using the "C" word in this thread.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Rather then having to come up with slick one liners don't all of your customers have a contract that they can refer to or you can reference. Doesn't this document already outlined when you will cut until? Setting the customers expectations via the contract should have avoided all of this.

Gravely_Man

PS send some of he snow down to me!

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

in my area the grass is back into greening cycle due to plenty of water after the drought. leaves just now getting started. many are still green.
    im leaving notes to this effect at the customers houses. itll take a cold snap to
    bring on normal season changes.
    some of my lawns look better than they did all summer.:)

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely_Man wrote:

don't all of your customers have a contract

You used the "C" word after he asked you not to. Shame on you! :D

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

so you don't want to hear the solution to your problem????????

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I will Say that in my area very few landscapers make there clients sign contacts just for weekly mowing. For 9 years Ive been mowing residentials without contracts. The way I see it...If they decide mid season they would rather no longer have me work for them, I really would rather not! Also because conditons are unpredictable I dont see how you can specify exactly when you will mow till or how many cuts you will do. Some years Ive mowed into december...others barly into November. For the most part my cutomers trust my judgment and I dont have a problem. Most of my redidential accounts are around the 120-150 dollar a month range. The few people who have refused to pay....I have taken to small claims court and have won everytime! Without a contract!

7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

but evan528 the point is that there is no debating when the last cut will be when you have a...you know;) . that is lawns and mower's concern here, not refusal to pay or a surprise cancelling. although those problems will go away too.

and then if a customer wants MORE cuts, no prob. or early cuts in the spring. no prob.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Ahhha!! I couldn't think of what the C word was when I first read this, and I was going to post the "C" word too...........

It really wouldn't be a bad idea in this case......a full season contract with payments over 12 months........

just an idea.......

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Simple solution. As it starts to cool down, you mow higher and higher. As you are mowing it higher, you are explaining to the customers (only if it comes up) that the reason behind this, is that fall, is one of the only times of the year that the grass is actually growing. By this, what this means, is that grass only actually establishes new root growth twice a year. Once in the spring, and again in the fall. Not as MUCH in the fall, but it's establishing new growth all the same. This, after all, is what we are wanting to achieve - as deep and dense of a root system as possible. Well, as a simple rule of thumb, "the longer the leaf, the deeper the root os able to grow". Now THIS is what you tell your customers. The REAL reasoning behind this is, (other than the root growth, is so you can keep the grass growing for as long as you can, bleeding as many cuts out of it as possible. When you leave, it's always going to look freshly cut - but in a weeks time, it's going to have a tendency to look a bit more shaggy than if it's cut short. If it's cut too low, it will just STOP growing much earlier. This is in direct porportion to cutting height, as well. When it does finally get good and cold, and you know it's all done growing, THEN you can cut it down low. This sometimes can even give you one extra cut, because you can tell your customer that it's rather important for the turf to be cut down lower to resist snow mold and layover. This works very well. ;)

10. dr grass

dr grass Banned

this is going to be the last season im going to put up with.... "well....i dont think it needs to be cut, why dont you stop back by next week??" i dont need the stress of not knowing how much my income will be from month to month. i need to know my exact income to be able to budget properly. maybe you people can do it like that, but not me. i dont like the undue stress!!

shep :dizzy: