Getting IN with Builders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Alpha01, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Alpha01

Alpha01 LawnSite Member

I would like to get in with a few builders in my work area, but I don't have a clue on how to approach and how to quote them for proposed work. I am sure that they expect a great deal, but I am not sure of the pricing, warranties, etc. that they expect. Any input would be appreciated.

2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

They usually want cheap work done. I would start by calling some real estate agents and ask them to put you in touch with a local builder.

3. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I would advise AGAINST working for builders. To find a good one is rare. The vast majority of them don't want to pay, and are extremely cheap.

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

My initial reaction to reading this post was "careful what you wish for"

I used to sell and rent construction equipment. Builders were the slowest pay and thier integrity was slim and none. I'm sure there are goods ones. I've met a dam few.

People should take a look at builders when they make fun of lawyers.

Just do your homework and ask a lot of questions.

5. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

I agree, to find a good, reputable builder that is willing to pay fair prices is rare to say the least. Also, be sure you want your name passed around by this guy. I had a bad experience with a builder, who was trying to get me some work, but he was not doing such a great job on his own work so the customers naturally assumed the same would be true of anyone he recommended.

6. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I work with 4-5 builders and 1 developer it is kind of my niche and I allways am paid within 30 days ushally before the 30 days. I give my builders a better price then I would a home owner due to the work load they give us. If you find the right ones you can stay pretty busy

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I bid for a few builders too. It is the worse of worse being cheap. Quality means little to nothing.

You can do it if you have a good crew and a place to buy in bulk and store materials.

8. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

send the person in charge of bidding and delegating jobs to the different compaines a portfolio of your biz, make sure ot include workers comp, insurance .... and when they ask you to deliver on short notice, you better damm deliver or else they wont waste their time with you...good luck

9. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

working with builders? I prefer to go solo, I have had mixed results with builders, they do often give me referrals to they're customers but I never work under them.

10. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I am w/ the rest I would go against it. I put a bid w/ one that I had become close w/ lower than I normal would and still couldn't get the job. At the price he said the others were doing it for I would be making $300 after cost on doing 1/4 acre lots, beds all around the house, all the plants and putting them in ,mulching and plastic bed edging, grading and rough grading of front and back yards, sodded front yards, and hydro seeded back. It just isn't worth it to me.
    I also meet a guy that recently went out of business. He had the biggest business around.I asked him for advise on what to do and not to do. He told me that his biggest mistake was getting hooked up w/ developer that was one of the main things that put him out of business. He told me that developers start there developments under a inc or llc or something so when they sell the last house they claim bankruptcy and leave there bills unpaid,then start another one under a different name. The guy I was talking to was owed over 300k, sent a bill, the developer sent him 20k and told him, "that is all you are getting if you don't like it get in line." And there was nothing he could do because he had to attack a bankrupt company that no longer existed