Getting into irrigation.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Future LCO, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Future LCO

Future LCO LawnSite Member

I've been doing primarily lawn and landscape maintenance for the past 4 years. However, the past few days i've been learning about Winterizing sprinkler systems. I've known for some time the components in a sprinkler system and how they work together to get that wet stuff onto the green stuff. The Sprinkler Tech i've been working with has been complimenting me on how quick I leran and that I seem to have that common sense factor that some employees never attain. He's wanting to train me to be another service tech next year. I know it's better money then lawn maintenance and the demand is growing greatly. So I'm considering it. I'll get backflow certified and all that stuff but I was wondering if any of the manufacturers make a how-to book or guide that begins to explain basic and indepth service of irrigation. I figure I can be Tim's "trainee" all winter and most of next spring or i can read up and get an idea of whats goin on before we work so i can catch on quicker and be ready before start-ups next year. Any info or insight would be great. I'm in Wichita, KS so I dont know if there are any training programs here. but for now I'm doing blow-outs for the next 2 weeks or so. Thanks guys!

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What? You're in Wichita and not working in the aeronautical field? Well what do ya know.

Working for or with someone with irrigation knowledge helps a lot; working for more than one person with irrigation knowledge is even better. But, at least with me, the more I learned about irrigation the more I realized that I needed more to learn - if that makes sense.

There are some details about irrigation that you probably won't encounter too often, and surely not while just blowing out systems during the winter. You're right, and you should hit the books as well. In this state, one of the suggested reading resources for the irrigation contractors exam was the Rainbird Irrigation Design Manual. You can download it at:

http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/IrrigationDesignManual.pdf

Hunter has a similar book as well, but learn this material and then teach your buddy some things. Oh, by the way, I wouldn't say that irrigation work is more profitable than landscape maintenance. That's purely up to you and the market.

3. Future LCO

Future LCO LawnSite Member

What? Wichita makes airplanes? Since when? lol.

Thanks for the link, I'll get to reading.