1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting into the business- Pond Related Concerns

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by me1223, Aug 6, 2007.

1. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

I've been toying with the idea of starting a company which will do only pond and waterfall installs. I've done some work with ponds before so I'm goo with most of it, there are a few things which I haven't done before so I hope that people can share their advice on a few topics:

1) skimmers, I've never installed a skimmer. How hard are they to install, if you use a skimmer do you need to also have filtration at the waterfall (trickle tower, biofalls, etc.)? Is there any cirulation within the deeper water of the pond (1'-2' deep) if you use a skimmer?

2)Size of ponds, how big do most people want their ponds to be?

3)Excavator or not, at what point (how many yards of dirt to be removed) do you need to bring in equipment to do the excavation?

4)Size of Truck, is it necessary/desirable to have a 3/4ton or 1 ton truck or is a half ton good for the job?

5)Liner wholesales, when I've done ponds before I always went with the 45mil liner from home depot, can you order directly from firestone if you buy it by the roll? Has anyone ordered a whole roll from firestone before, or is there some sort of middleman inbetween that you can deal with and get a better rate?

6)Size of crew, how many people do you usually take to build a pond, do you work solo, have one or two other people with you.

7)Insurance/liability, are we liable if we build the pond for someone who might drown in it later on? How much insurance should you carry for your worksite (not on the vehicles)

8)Wholesale pumps, are there companies which will sell you wholesale pumps without buying the whole kit (not going to do the aquascapes thing, that has rip off all over it)

9)How do you price your work, so much per hour of labour and then add the cost of materials, do you take your costs and double them, or some other pricing method?