Getting into the Fert and Spray biz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Laner, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Let me start out by saying that I do have the proper licensing and insurance to apply chemicals to lawns. I have recently started to apply weed control to some of the lawns that we mow. The results have been very good.
    One of the guys that we do spring clean-ups for is in the landscape business and also apply fertilizer and weed control. He asked if we would be interested in taking some of his customers for fert and spray as he is too busy with landscaping jobs. We are on good terms and have spoke several times. If we do move forward with this deal, I want to make sure that I am asking the right questions and making the right decision to take on some of his customers. Can anyone out there help me get a better feel for the questions I should be asking in order to help make the decision? Any input is much appreciated.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me, I would want to meet each customer with him there so as to go over some basics, see if we see eye to eye and so on.
    At the very least, you should call his customers and explain things and see what is expected (omfg lol) but for real do NOT go in cold without the customers knowing what is going on or you will get wasted, so there needs to be some kinda intro, that would be what I would insist upon, and yes, with each and every one, might take a day but so what, right?
    Good luck.

3. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

We are talking about doing a letter to introduce me as an option that the customer has since the current applicator will be discontinuing his services to them this fall. I think this would certainly help, but would only be better if we could do face-to-face introductions.