Getting leaves from under bushes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by boatdude, Mar 25, 2004.

1. boatdude

boatdude LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I wanted to ask if anyone has any tricks to get leaves out from under bushes. I'm not talking about ones that you could just lift up a limb and blow them out...I'm talkin about ones that are caught up in the dense branches and will not come out with a blower pointed directly at them. Do I need to pick them out by hand?
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

These can be tough. We had that happen once and we used a leaf vac. Also, if you have a powerful blower it will help some as well. Either way, you've got some work on your hands. There's no method that is guaranteed to get every single last leaf.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Blower won't get them out? Sounds like you may need a better blower. The redmax 7001 gets all the leaves, and some dirt too!
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

7001 or the pb650. They will blow your leaves!!!!!!!
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

And then, in the end, sometimes you just have to get down on hands and knees and just pull them out!
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Try to find the aluminum collapsable/adjustable rakes. For about $8 these things are worth their weight in gold. The tines are very thin and with being able to open/clost it to varying widths you can get inside of most plants....even barberries.We have 4 of them. We use them for all kinds of things and you can leave them out in the weather as they're all auminum. Garden ceenters often sell them but I've not seen them at the bib box stores. If you find them, you'll kick yourself for not having bought them sooner
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If it is a small schrub and you have a large backpack blower try removing a section of tubing so you can get directly over the top of the schrub and blow down. Or just move around the schrub until you find the direction the leaves are allowed to exit.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

One guy blows while the other shakes the bush with a rake.
  9. boatdude

boatdude LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas guys...I will give them a try.