Getting licensed to spray weed killer in ohio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mowtivated lawn Care, May 24, 2008.

1. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How hard is this to do, time and cost because I have hear and read I believe that there is a hefty fine that can come for spraying. I only use it for the weeds in the cracks in driveways, is it still neccesary to have a license? Thanks

2. eric188429

eric188429 LawnSite Member

im here in fla and i was told that no matter how much you are spraying you need lic.

3. Yup, it's handled by the United States Department of Agriculture. And they are deadly serious. Don't apply any chemicals on anyone's property but your own. Don't get caught with pesticides in your truck. And that's NOT just restricted use pesticides. That's ANY pesticides wheather they cam from Home Depot or not. You're a commercial operator in business! It'll sound different when they're telling it to the judge. But that's the bulk of it.

But it's not all that hard to get your license.
    Most of your cost will be in your insurance to apply pesticides. But shop around and you'll find some low cost business insurance that'll cover you. Especially if chemical application isn't your primary business.

Getting the license is mostly just a matter of doing it. Read what they give you, listen to what they tell you. They'll work with you. They want you legal.
    The classes & tests are in the winter months. But send for your study material now and get started. See your county extension agent to get started.

Having a license sets you apart from the competition. Plus it's a pretty good way to make money.

4. brucec

brucec LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't it almost impossible to even get insurance unless you have previous experience working for someone else? What insurance companies do you guys suggest for this?

5. eric188429

eric188429 LawnSite Member

u can get ins. regardless. i just started lawn care last year and i had no problem

6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your private messages Buddy. :)