Getting more customers, need tips and advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jordanfan20, May 25, 2008.

1. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

I live in Cincinnati Ohio, I currently do about 10 yards per week and I'm 15 years old. I've recently bought a 52inch zero turn commercial, stihl backpack blower, trailer (My dad drives me around until I get my license. The majority of my lawns are in the same facinity) and I have a craftsman 32cc trimmer I plan on replacing soon. My question is what steps can I take to getting more customers. I've placed an add or 2 on craigslist and it got me 2 customers, but where else should I put adds, should I make a t-shirt, make a sign for my trailer. What has successfully got you business. My goal now is to get a lot of vacation lawns so should I make fliers and if so what should I write?

My goal is to expand, I'd like to get some commercial properties ut I'm not sure how and would definitely like to add some residential.

Thanks, Paul

2. SC Irrigator

SC Irrigator LawnSite Member
    from SC

a sign for your trailer should def. help you to pick up some customers.....cant tell you how many times the signs have picked up jobs just from someone seeing the truck at a gas station or taking lunch or from just being in someone neighborhood.....as far as placing an add the yellowpages is sorta expensive but your local newspaper should help out some too

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

in your situwation word of mouth is what will get ya the jobs...

not to insult you. but if you advertised anywhere and you pulled up with your father driving and you and I went and talked about what I wanted I would hire someone else....

take you 10 customers and ask them if they have friends or family that you can cut.

play up that 15 year old boy routine. " I'm trying to save up for a car"
    I'm saving for college" and such.....

Good Luck and God bless