Getting more customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HOLE-N-ONE, Jul 23, 2006.

1. HOLE-N-ONE

HOLE-N-ONE LawnSite Member

I am brand new to this forum and new to this business.I have been in business for a bout 2 months. I went to the print shop and had some door hangers printed up and have hung about 50 and have gotten 1 steady customer from that hanger.The hangers are all the adversising that I have done. A lot of people say it is to late in the season to get customers.I work in NW Arkansas.Any help with getting new customers would be apprciated.
    Thanks,
    Johnny

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I've gotten my word of mouth only but if you have success with 50:1 why stop?

At that rate 500 will get you 10 customers.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You can pick up customers anytime, however the best time we have found to gain new clients is in the spring. But there will still be people that are looking for a lawn service, they may be unhappy with their current provider, or maybe the college boy is going back to school and no longer able to cut the grass.
    To get clients, you need to get your name out. Customers are not going to come knocking at your door. if you laid out 50 doorhangers, that is nothing. Guys on here are laying out 1,000 of hangers. Get your truck lettered up with your company name, i'm not saying that getting a new customer will be a direct result from truck lettering, BUT it's all about name recognition. You got to let people know who you are.
    Try advertising in your local newspaper in the service directory. Every area is different, and different types of marketing that may work for someone here, may not work well in your area. You just have to try different ideas.
    You can also gear up for Fall advertising for leaf cleanups.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hangers will work, and it is not to late to get customers. However, you will have to put out a lot of hangers. People need to know that you are in biz and who you are before they can call.

We usually are putting out fliers on a weekly basis. We are still picking up customers. In fact, last year July was our biggest month for picking up new customers.

5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I usally mow 3 days a week and lately every week I seem to get 1 or 2 new clients word of mouth only.
    I have been aproached at gas stations and several clients propertys.
    I also turn away a lot to.

6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

client satisfaction and word of mouth will get you all the clients you need. My first full year and still picking up clients every week:)

7. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

We are picking up 10 to 20 new accounts a week, there is an saying you have to circulate to percolate. if you are serious get a plan together and put out 2000 to 3000 hangers a week! you better have it together to handle the business,the worst thing is not to be ready to service the people to sign up.
    hope this helps, mel

8. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

i was wonder if door hangers are legal in olive branch here there are city ordinances against it. i would like to start in olive branch spraying weed control. non licensed people are sucking me dry chopping my price in half. I'm not interstate in mowing at all, I have some references of mowing guys i do business with.

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

august is usually a good month for me, as lowball bob has usually quit by then and johnny homeowner doesn't feel like doing it. then you spoil them, get them good and lazy, and retain them for the next year too. second best month for me is april. the grass has been growing for a month by then, and anyone who doesn't want to/can't do it is approaching critical mass then.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but...

Usually if you are aquiring new accounts over the norm on flyers, bids, etc. it has something to do with your rates being lower than the competition. You may want to think about raising your rates and only obtaining 1-3% of the flyers for new accounts. Just something to chew on.

Think about it this way...

Say 1000 flyers are sent and you have received 100 requests for a quote. Out of that 100, 75 decide to go with you. Assume all lawns are the same and you charge 42 per lawn and each lawn takes an man-hour. Thats generating $3,150 per week over 75 hours.

Now assume you get those same 100 requests but you raise your rates on the quotes by $7 and now only get 40 customers to accept your offer. Now you are only cutting 40 lawns per week and only generating $1,960 per week BUT over 40 hours. So now you are generating $49 per hour as opposed to 42 per hour.

What's seven dollars an hour? That's an additional $14k per year assuming 2080 hour work year.

I dunno, just something to think about.