Getting More Customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hershnt, May 4, 2007.

1. hershnt

hershnt LawnSite Member

I'm having problems getting more customers even thought I do a good job. The problem is that everyone in cincinnati is pretty tight with there money and they dont want to pay. What do you think a resonable price is for a yard that is 1/4- 1/3 acre. I feel like I am shooting myself in the foot, but there are so many landscaping companies around now that its tough to get your foot in the door.

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i think you should have done some market analysis before you got into the Cincinatti LCO business....then you would have known that Cincinatti is a tough place to get lawns....

but if you REALLY want lawns you should lowball...but if you wanna be an upstanding business owner and treat your fellow man with respect, you should do good work on time and be courteous and charge fair rates....the money will come when you open your eyes and look for it...just scour the area for every single account you can get your hands on...but be fair to the other LCOs that make a living out of this

3. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

The best advice i can give......DRIVE AROUND ALOT. Drive around and look for lawns that are over grown or have 21" stipes on them. that meens they do it them self or not at all. Stop , knock on the door and shot them a decent number. Once you have 1, the neighbors will follow....as long as you do a good job that is

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Tim,
    There is plenty of work in Cincinnati,you must be doing something wrong.We do not advertise or try to get new work yet we have had more than 55 cold calls these past few weeks and said no to all.Do you have your name and number on your truck,doing quality work an a regular basis. On a side note, a customer comented that she liked the fact that our employees looked like Mike Car Wash Employees...............no Mega Death t shirts,not smoking while mowing,always busy. But if you are shirtless,cig hanging from your mouth,wrap around sunglasses so they can't see your eyes.......

5. hershnt

hershnt LawnSite Member

The funny thing is that I dont do any of that. I dress in Kahkis and work hard. Not to mention the utmost quality! The problem is I am fronting all of the money so I'm literally just starting out like I started a month ago. I appreciate all teh help you are giving me.

6. AllAmericanlawn

AllAmericanlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that flyers are always effective to some extent. If you want the business bad enough you will go and find it.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you placed an ad in the newspaper? If so then your phone will start ringing

8. hershnt

hershnt LawnSite Member

No but now that I hear you say that I am happy! Thanks for the advice guys.

9. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

There's so many lawn care numbers in my local paper that I probably wouldn't even be able to find mine if I put it in there!

:laugh: