getting more customers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nickslawn, Feb 26, 2008.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I'm going to put a ad in the classifieds for my area how does this sound.

Nick's Lawn Care now accepting new weekly accounts in Martin area. Reasonable prices and free estimates. leave message at. 000-000-0000

Im trying to get 15-20 yrds. so how does this sound.

2. p0wd3rp1l0t

p0wd3rp1l0t LawnSite Member

i list my services, have for years, and also say licensed and insured if u are

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good. One suggestion. Many newspapers will charge by the line, say like $14 per line. The ad will have to fit in a small section. They usually get about 3 or so small words per line. With what you have could cost a fortune, especially if you run it for like a week or so. My suggestion: say the same thing in fewer words, let the customers figure out the rest when they call you.

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Here is my typical ad. Mowing Service
    XXX-LAWN
    Free Estimates
    I usually get plenty of calls from that, I think I have an advantage since my number spells out LAWN. Short and to the point, there is no room for a lengthy description in the classifieds.

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, it should read like this.

Mowing Service
    XXX-LAWN
    Free Estimates

6. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I have had a better response when listed first or at least in the top 3 of the section. I use two papers- one sets up by the date of when the ad is placed- I usually start that one in Feb. and the other is by size. I have found that it will cost me about $100 more a month to be listed first- I think it is worth the money. Just my thoughts.

7. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I like your phone number...XXX-LAWN......Mine is....XXX-CUTS. I put out some signs in the spring and I get a lot of calls. More often than not, when people call me, they ask, "Is this XXX-CUTS?" I guess it just sticks in their brain a whole lot better and all they really have to remember are the first 3 digits.

In my experience, running an ad in my newspaper is not worth it. It costs me $88 for a one time ad on Sunday. I did this ONE time last year and got ONE customer. The one customer turned out to be a good one, but I was expecting a lot more calls from that ad.

My other advertizing efforts include business cards and signs.

I had 2000 nice business cards made up (cost me, if I remember correctly, $69.00) and targeted nice neighborhoods. I drive by and stick them on the mailboxes of the yards I would like to have as customers. I got about 50% of my business this way.

I also had 25 corregated signs made up and placed them in strategic traffic areas. I got a lot of calls from these signs, some good accounts and some that I really wouldn't have taken unless it was my first year in the business. I would say I got about 40% of my accounts this way. The remaining 10% came from word of mouth.

I had a total of 25 customers I saw every week last year, another 10 or 12 that were every other week customers, and a few "I'll call you when I can afford it" types. 7 of those customers I got to sign year round contracts so I was bringing in right at $1300 / month this winter. My goal is to triple that this year. Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth. Good luck with your business.

8. p0wd3rp1l0t

p0wd3rp1l0t LawnSite Member

some people say those damn yard signs..like reality signs. i think those thigns look tacky. i know a lot of my residential customers would not like a tacky sign sitting in front of their house acting like a billboard. stick to newspapers and the business cards is a good idea

9. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

Wow- guess i should count myself lucky. I only advertise in the local papers classified ($220 for the entire month)and during the spring can get ten calls a day- alot for aeration, power raking, or sprinkler turnons- we do have high growth- guess everyone needs to figure out what works for them.

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Also something you might try is if you have customers that kept you for the entire season last year, either call or send them a letter to see if they would like you to service their property this year. Worst they can do is tell you no.