getting more lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

i am 14 and i have 5 lawns. i mow it with a commercial honda, kaw trimmer, and a homelite blower. i have a chance to get 10 more yards. i thinking i need to get a toro 36 hydro w/b the dealer said that the toro is the best and could compare it to all the other w/b a commerical blower stick edger and a trailer. have any suggestions on equpiment or anything i need to know.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's a Toro dealer of course he will say Toro is the best:rolleyes:

Look at some other commercial equipment in the area. If you have any other dealers there, see what they have. Look at the size and layout of your accounts and the ones you might get, then decide with size you want. 32", 36" 48" 54"60". Bigger might be better, but not always. A 48" is a good average size if you don't have any gates or narrow areas less than 50" wide. If you have a bunch of 30" gates then even a 32" won't do you much good. I think the type of accounts not the number of them should help you pick the size of mower.

A Walkbehind is a big step up from a 21". Hydro IS worth the extra money if it's a primary mower IF you can afford it. If not Belt Drive is fine. Brand choice often comes down to personal preference in the little things. Certain features one brand has that another doesn't. Also a sulky on a Walkbehind makes for much less fatigue at the end of the day. If you need a grass catcher, go with a metal mesh, NOT cloth.

As far as an stick edger, I personally think an EDGIT on your straight shaft trimmer would be a better choice. you can edge and trim with the same machine. If you have an overgrown edge to cut just rent a blade edger for a few hours. You have a blower. If it starts easy and blows air then use it. When it dies then get the commercial one you want.

If you don't plan on needing to haul more than a 21" and walkbeind mower any time soon then a 5'X 8'-10' would be a good size of trailer. If you get a good deal on a larger one go for it.

Check out my thread on "A small one man mowing rig"

And Happy Cutting

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

A 36" w/b is a good mower for accessing fenced areas of newer homes (Do some measuring to see if it will work for you). I use my 36" in all my fenced back yards but most my yards are in modern sub divisions and all my gates allow the 36" to pass thru. A lot of older gates are not that wide however. I also removed that discharge flap on my mowers as well to fit thru better. You may want to add a larger mower later on when you get properties that permit. All depends on where you want to take your business in the future. I have some larger machines for large properties and a 36" for accessing tighter places. Some guys I know limit their mower size to 36" and dont mow larger properties. I guess they dont want to haul a bigger trailor and are happy with all that walking.
    Good Luck

5. Chanllenger55,

If I was in your shoes, I’d think real hard about spending the extra money for a Hydro. For specific applications, they are worth the money if you have it, but a belt-drive is about 85% as productive. Taking this next step, it may be better to spend it on something else like a stick-edger, sulky, or save it. Have you considered a 32” WB? Those will go through almost any gate and then you’ll be doing the back yards just as fast as the front. If this is going to be your main mower, bigger is not always better. It just depends on your lawns and gates, among other things. Later on if you expand with an even bigger mower, you’d probably keep that 32” for back yards. However, I’d bet if you got the 36” you’d be more likely to trade that in and loose money on that deal as well.

I have a 32” Toro floating-deck which has a LARGE single blade. But I wished I’d have spent less money on the fixed-deck with two smaller blades. With a deck that small, its not a big difference to have a floating deck. A drawback is that big single blade on that 32” does not do a good job under many circumstances. And its very easy to ruin (bend) that blade and murder a lawn. With two smaller blades, that deck would cut so much nicer and it wouldn’t be so expensive when I hit things.

Before you fork over any cash, be sure to talk to other guys in your area about which dealer does the best service. From this side of a purchase it can be hard to see, but that's just about as important as the brand and quality of your machine. There’s something I’m not clear about. If you’re 14, how are you going to manage a trailer? Are you driving?

6. challenger55

no i am not driving my dad can take me around or my sister can drive me or i can also get my mom to drive me

7. challenger55

thanks i think i will get an edgit

8. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i'm 14 also and this is my setup, minus the bunton im sellin and add a Yazoo 48" Hydro and a stihl fc 85 edger. This spring i will have at least 10-11 yards. It will be very hard to do 15 yards with your equpiment. Consider school in there also! 11-12 yards will probably be my limit and that will be hard also.

mower xsmall.jpg

9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 36" at around 14-15 i would say stick with the belt drive. Also dont depend on you parents to drive u around and wait for u while your mowing. I would say do good work and charge higher prices then other guys in the buisness cause you realy dont need the buisness anyway and your only a kid once.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Just curious, how are you getting these yards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.