1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting mowing earlier

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Feb 1, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting things rolling earlier in the season as far as mowing is concerned? With most of my comercial accounts I decide when to start mowing so I can start those early and get them growing, but the residential usually don't want me to come until they think it needs cutting. I'm missing out on 2 cuts or so because of this.

any ideas on convincing them? I've thought about giving away free ferts to get things rolling but without that first early cut I'm still missing out.
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why not have your residential on mowing contracts, they pay a set price and get certain cuts each month.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting stimulates growth. Tell them it will green up faster. That's important if you seeded in the fall and didn't have a chance to get the cuts in before you apply a pre-m.
  4. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Its hard to convince the homeowner when it is best to start mowing, free ferts. will only end up costing you. How about starting with a dethatching and a sping aeration with a preemergent. Maybe that will make up for your first couple cuttings.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Who's running your business...you or them?:confused:

I decide if and when the lawns are to be mowed. If a customer has a problem with that, then fine...hasta la vista, baby .
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 1000 % !!!!!
    IWhen I first started, I would wait until the customer called to do the first cut. It usually needed cutting like 3 weeks before. The grass was thick, leaves mixed in and I would be there a long time doing the work for a one cut price. Now as I have matured in this business, I start when I feel it needs to be cut, and if they would insist on me waiting longer, I kindly tell them that sure I will wait till whenever they want, BUT, the price will be higher because of extra work involved in cutting when it has grown a foot high. I have had no problems with this in 5 years.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

A spring cleanup w/ a spring tine rake (Jrco or / Snapper) will lift matted turf remove some loose thatch and stimulate early growth.

The sooner you an do this the sooner you can be mowing.

Just my $.02
  8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Who is running the show at your place? Tell them to sign a contract or find someone else. Its simple.
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat guys, learn something new everyday on lawnsite eh? I just never thought about it that way. It was the rookie in me I guess.
  10. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

If your clients are not on contracts, now it's time to start. You for the most part will set up the cutting dates and they will sign the contract as is. I'v had very few clients change any dates prior to signing the contract. Contracts work.
    Take Care,
    Gulfstream Landscaping & Maintenance Inc.