Getting My Act Together

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FamilyBiz, Jun 1, 2004.

1. FamilyBiz

FamilyBiz LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Im a plumber that is sick of the biz. I want to start a Lawn biz but need to know how to get legitimate. Taxes, licenses, etc.etc.
    I know how it is to be low balled and I'm not the one. Im worth more that 12.00 a lawn. People in the plumbing trade do it all day(flybynights)
    Im in the Denver, Colorado area and need a ballpark figures on how much to charge. I've looked at other Lawn Care services, do you think I should go by their prices? (in Denver)
    What equipment should I start off with?
    My neighbor is selling a 4x8 trailer for 350.00 It looks nice too. Is that a good deal. Will it be sufficient for a one man op?

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Family....

I was just in denver about a month ago. For the size of your lawns you would be fine with something like a 36" walkbehind. You can get a good used one for under 1,000. A 4X8 trailer would be a good start also. There is always room to upgrade, and you dont need to buy more than you need. Go to a dealer and buy stihl handheld equip. (my personal Favorite.) Other good name brands would be echo, redmax, or shindaiwa.

If you are serious about this get serious equipment. Do not buy homeowner equip. if you can afford it. Print up half sheet fliers (2 per page) and slap em EVERYWHERE.

Also..My brother lives in the D-town and may be looking to get into the biz too. He hasnt decided if he is gonna come and work with me yet.

ALSO.....I know Larry Uliberry from Ks 107.5 and maybe could pull some strings and get him to do an on air (morning show) comment about your business or something if you get serious.

Let me know via PM

Trevor

3. wairinc

wairinc LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Hey guys, I am in the process of starting a business in denver also, More specifically highlands ranch / littleton area. I am only going to do residential for the first year, then bid on some commercial accounts, Everything I make the first year is going back in the business, as I have a full time job also to pay the bills. Maybe would could hook up with one name, and do two different parts of town.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi FamilyBiz,

Here is a site that has some great Denver Business information.

[​IMG]

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry dingleberry is a great host. He has some good points.

Maybe some of us other denver and surroundings can meet up sometime?

6. Precision PLC

Precision PLC LawnSite Member

I would not buy a trailer that is less than a 8x16 for the simple fact that bye the time next year comes around or even later that year given you a a savvy business person you will outgrow that small 4x8 trailer.Buy yourself a new 36" walkbehind,this is the best and you can still get through gates,and that 36" along with your push mower,blower,trimmers,and accesories will take up more room than you think on a trailer.