Getting my business started?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I asked alot of questions earlier this year about how to become a legal business. My parents think I should wait because I will have to pay taxes, but I will have to pay taxes anyways after a certain amount of money has been earned and cashed as checks, right? I don't like having to say I mow yards, I want to say I have a lawn care business. I want to atleast be a legal business even if I don't have insurance the first month into the season as I will be spending the majority of my money on a trailer, new push mower, auto insurance, trimmer and blower racks, etc. If anyone knows the procedures needed to become a business in Ohio and can lay them out step by step, I would deeply appreciate it. When I tried to find the answers in the past, I heard all kinds of ways to go about it. People also mentioned laywers and accounants. Do accountants and lawyers both set-up business'. What are their individual roles in the process. I know a teacher at school who is an accounant and thought I may be able to go through them if they were required for part of the process. I'm just not sure were to start. Also, if you can give me an idea as to how much it may cost, that would be nice to know. Thanks for any advice in advance.
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

You should place business insurance as one of the more important things to aquire. I would rank it just as important as auto insurance and the like.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ill send you the link to the ohio webpage, it has a printout of just what you need to do, think it was 55 buck to register with the state, and list all the requirements

please read the other post here and dont put off the insurance, you do need to pay it all up front
  4. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

1. go to website or the business building of your town and form a llc.
    2. fill out forms to get tax ID for said business
    3. buy equipment
    4. get insurance for equipment and insurance for business etc...
    5. profit!

i think thats how it goes.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ohio you do have to check with local gov. but need to register with the state... as the link above describes....
  6. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

I may need help too.
    No problem getting started I wrote my own marketing material but had it all printed professsionally. I got business cards - contracts - invoices - the van - the materials and I am essentailly ready to go.
    The only legal step I've taken so far is to get liability insurance and a vendors license from the Department of Agriculture. I need a CPA? A lawyer? Do I need to registar my name with the state? And I'm embarrassed to say I still need a tax ID number.

oh yeah - How can I put one of those clever graphics next to my name