Getting my drive gilsonited right now!!!

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by nitro121, Jun 21, 2008.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I was out mowing today....some guys pulled up w/ cards....budget sealcoating.....they thought the house I was cutting was mine. I told them I have a 600ft driveway....they said they could do mine for 600-650. That's .10-.15 a foot. The estimate I got from the guy who laid the driveway was $900. They are using a trash pump.....but no sand.

I don't know if I'll get to my trash pump system or not this year so I got to get it done. I'll take pics.

One dude is shirtless and 400lbs...not the most professional look. :dizzy:

I may not even go in to this business now......or just stick to my grass customers and not advertise. If guys like this are just driving through neighborhoods cutting prices then there is no use to put a bunch of money in a system.

By they way.....todays price.....$500. :clapping:

I think they'll do a good job....I told them I'd refer them to my clients if they are good. Once again....cheap price wins over nice equipment. :weightlifter:

Peace,
    Gary

2. philmdamien

philmdamien LawnSite Member
    from NH

What am i missing ... 600sq.ft at $.10 p sq.ft equals $60 not $600

3. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

600 foot long...... probably by 10 15 20. 6000 plus sq feet. go ahead and have them seal it with there trash pump and gilsonite maybe you will get one year out of it for 500.00 pay 900.00 and you will probably get 3 years so in the long run you dont save ****. people like you who give work to these cut throat losers with no insurance, water down sealer ruin the business for us professionals. its no differant than everyone with a pickup truck and a lawnmower who thinks there a landscaper. every spring you look in the business section of the newspaper or pennysaver and you see 20 new landscape companies and than the next year after they ruin properties there gone and the homeowners are skeptical about hiring someone that will do a good job because of people like them and sealcoating gypsies... so have fun with your new sealed driveway.

4. nitro121

There is no doubt I'll be purchasing a trash pump in the next month or so and offering the service to my customers. I will do like them and broom the water based stuff w/ sand and spray gilsonite.

All the talk about leaving streaks, thick layer, blah, blah, blah....means nothing. Anyway....I'm glad I got to see for myself how easy it was.

And for all the haters....the guys had business cards, insured, licensed...etc....well, I didn't call the state business board to double check, but their cards say it. Umm....I got a great job....I told them about my 2 neighbors w/ the same size drive and 80 grass customers I'd refer them to....they laid it down thick. But thanks for the concern. And please don't tell me I won't save any money.....I'll be doing my own driveway from here on out....so bottom line, I will save money.

Good luck fellas.

PS....I doubt they'll be much business for residential work anymore for the big companies....In VA, the immigrants are now using trash pumps.....you think the price is getting driven down now...wait 2 more years. I'm just going to hit my grass customers because they'll give me the business because they know me.

5. nitro121

Hard to see the end of the driveway...but 660ft...one turn around...I'm near the garage so I'm standing on more driveway.

100_0530.jpg

6. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

nitro, I think you are confused about gilsonite. first off you can not use a trash pump. gilsonite must be heated to be able to be sprayed and put down correctly. those machines are very expensive. most likley the guys who sprayed your driveway cut it withe diesel fuel or kerosene. used vanilla extract to hide the smell. and in a few years your driveway will crumble. also i believe gilsonite is illegal in va. it is over 6 dollars a gallon and your driveway is going to be so slick as soon as it rains. we drove out all the gilsonite gypsies in our area.

7. nitro121

be a gypsy. :laugh:

I'm sure they cut it w/ deisel at $4 bucks a gallon. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure they are handing out cards, invoices, etc so they can get a bad name and be out of business in a year or two. :rolleyes:

Heck, they are doing all that just so my driveway can "crumble" in the next couple years.

If they did all that....then they made an extra $75 bucks??? Just to be run out of business.

Actually...the one guy, his dad owns an established paving company here....but he's on his own doing all the maint and seal jobs and picks up other jobs from people like me when they can get them.

No its not illegal....I posted before when learning about sealcoating that most of the companies here use gilsonite. "ashpalt doesn't wear out...it dries out" is the motto of most around here. But they did offer both.....I chose gilsonite because I'll keep applying it myself in the future.

Peace

8. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

nitro not trying to get into a fight with you but im sure they used diesel to cut it. becuase they would not be able to spray it with a unheated tank with a trash pump. gilsonite is something like 6-7 bucks a gallon and 4-5 bucks in diesel isnt gonna hurt them. heck that job should be over 1000.00 if they used the proper equipment. and like you said gilsonite does not seal your driveway it penetrates it. it does not protect aginst oil, gas, weather conditions and so forth. And i believe it is illegal to apply in va. and you the homeowner can be fined by dec dep.

9. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Or maybe you are pi**ed off, that the "cut-throat losers" make more money than you do, with much less overhead....kind of makes you feel like a loser dosen't it?
    Here you are investing all this money into your buisness, just to see the "cut throat losers" waltz away with what you feel should have been rightfully yours?
    Its called competition and the loser is the one who dosen't get the job....

10. bran3225

bran3225 LawnSite Member