getting my foot in the door!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Alright well I talked to a fellow lawn guy that I met a while back. He said he would contract out to me about 10 lawns to get my foot in the door. He is going to take 5 dollars from each lawn. The second year I get the lawns and all the money. Does this sound like a crazy idea. I mean everybody keeps telling me that lawns will come to me but I am struggling with the confidence. Any opinions on this would be appreciated:usflag:

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never tried anything like that, but it might work. Most likely, he is giving you the worst customers he has and is still getting paid $5 for it. How much are these lawns worth? $5 off of $30 is a lot worse than $5 off of $80. You've probably heard it before, but if you do good work for a reasonable price, you will get work to do. Just starting out, you don't have to land full-service manicured yards that pay $100/wk for under an acre. Shoot for less competitive jobs that others are overlooking. Three scraggly mow-n-blow yards for $30/ea in the same neighborhood will probably be more profitable than the $100 manicured job because they will take less time and equipment/materials. I hope you have a blessed year, friend!

3. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Thanks a million man I am going to do alot of thinking it over if you know what I mean. I think I am stressing myself out to much with all of this. Once i get a few lawns and do a good job then more will come.:usflag:

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They may not be bad lawns, they could just be out of his main service area.

In any case, you could sell them on extras. Even just 2-3 of them and make some nice change.

Not everyone is out to rape you, I've helped out guys before just to help

5. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

He seems like a pretty honest guy, he said he did this last year for a guy. He said he would collect the money and we would meet once a week and he would give me my share. I don't know maybe its worth a shot:usflag:

6. HOOLIE

It could work out well...really I've found most guys are on the up and up, and more than happy to help or lend a hand.

If you think after the $5 you'll still be making money, then why not? Like I said, sell a mulch job or two or three.

7. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

The properties are only a minute or two away so I think it will be good. How do you price a mulch job. Supplies x2 and then add a couple hrs of labor?:usflag:

8. HOOLIE

Mulch is an upsell, so you want to price it well. First off, figure out how long the job will take, from start to finish, including time to clean up and all. I tend to look at them in terms of is it a full day, or half a day. Then factor in the cost of the mulch.

9. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

that makes sense. when you say the price of the mulch do you just double whatever it cost. and do you figure up how many hours and charge by the hour.:usflag:

10. HOOLIE

Say it's a half day job, 5 hours. i look at it from start to finish, incluing picking up the mluch. You'd want to figure how much you want to clear for those 5 hours then at least add the cost of the mulch onto it.

Every job is different, I find using a set formula is a decent guide but you have to tweak it depending on the job.