getting nervous

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by youngbuck, Apr 2, 2005.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

this is my second year cutting grass legit and i have 6 customers making 150 dollars. between all the equipment and advertising i gave done i have about 5 grand in my business i want to be making 500+ a week dose this sound unrealistic what do u all think i have got three call in the last five days 2 turned out to be bogues and one is just a landscape job is it to late in the year for me to jump from 150 to 500 what dose everyone think?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The season just started....take your time...

$500/week? We should do that by 10:30 on a Monday morning so its all realative but $500 isn't much when you factor in taxes/ins/otheroverhead.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Buck, this is my second year also. I lowered my bids by about 20% this year and am getting more work now. Everytime I go somewhere I see ten newbies pulliing a trailer with a Craftsmen or Murray or Deere rider on it, and cars with a push handle out the trunk. Nothing wrong with that because as Mama said, "Use what you got." Not many of us can start with a new quad cab and a new enclosed trailer full of ztr goodies. I use belt wb's and keep the open trailer looking good, but my truck is so old that the county gave me homestead exemption on the tag.

I'm bound to take some heat here for lowering my prices, but I'm much happier when working and sweating than when hoping for the phone to ring. I do the same quality of work for 80% that I did last year for 100%. You know it when somebody cuts a corner on you, and they know it if you cut a corner on them.

There is plenty supply of LCO's (here anyway) and that can only drive mowing prices down. That's the law -- supply and demand. Sure, many of them will be gone before July, but meanwhile, right now they do affect the market. Also, every time Lowes or HD or Rural King sells a mower, that's a lawn we will not be getting.

I'd rather make more, but any gig is better than no gig (almost). When the schedule gets more toward full than empty, then I'll get more particular and edge up the bids little by little, back up to where I started. It's hard to tell this early, but will be surprised if I can start raising bids this year.

And if you've had them tell you that you are too young, I'm late fifties and have had them tell me I'm too old.

4. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

wow thanks for the advise my stuff isent cheep its just older equipment i have a 61' scag turf runner a 97 and a 48' scag walk behind im going to get me a redmax trimmer and a echoe blower and a 05 16 foot landscaping trailer i dont think my stuff is cheep just older i spent all the money i made at the car wash were i work in the winter to buy all this but i would like to make it back in like two months not the end of the year

5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, got a flyer?.....I stick them in peoples doors [ not mail boxs] on all the streets you have your clients, and than maybe the next 2 blocks around them. I'd talk to my clients and ask for referrals. Offer them 10-20% off the fall / winter trim & shape you are gonna add to your services. In my area June seems to be the cut off date or the phone just gives out the same time every season?.You can also stick your flyers at the local senior center...Good Luck and dont worry to much-regards Saxon :)

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

6 lawns for $150, so that's $25 each, so you need 20 lawns to reach $500 per week. Honestly, you think it's that hard to pick up 14 more customers? The grass has just started growing finally, you're going to pick more people up. Flyer the heck out of the streets you already work on.

Too early to panic

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't know about your area, but here it would be reasonable even competing agianst the illeagals. They tend to be sparadoic because they undercharge and have old equipment and can't keep the accounts. I wouldn't sweat it this early. You're probably just greening up back there where as we're already around 90 degrees here. Good luck this season :waving:

8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Grass season is here !!! don't give up !!! just keep going out and hang out flyer and put ad's in paper ,,,,i went put an bid saturday at this lady house and i got her and plus her next door neighbor house ...wow ...lucky me lol ...

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Buck, you worked hard for everything you got. Sounds like you aren't shouldering a lot of debt. You can stick, and you are going to do well.

10. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Great point, Jay Ray. I never even thought of that.

Out4Now, what part of AZ are you in?