Getting nervous

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Michael Fronczak, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

As I start calling property managers, and HOA's I'm submiting more & more bids...to many when done. I have enough work signed, from last year for myself & one employee (20-30 hrs week). I was on the phone last night with a manager that bought out anothers portfolio, with a property I did previous year, she said they wern't happy(co was much cheaper than me.) and wanted me back. My problem is I can hire another employee with no problem, after that I need to run two crews,(or have them drive other truck to jobsite). I have all ready bid $ 60-70,000, without this property (or the other two she gave me to bid), and have another $ 200,000+ to go.
    I'm getting nervous because my employees arn't ready to be foreman yet, I hired a new guy in January for snowplowing, very reliable, has done mowing, with belt drive walkbehinds, but we run belt, hydro, & ZTR, and he hasn't done any bed work yet. He aready has commited for spring, and I belive my employee from last season will be with me through late August.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a sales goal for Landscape services for three people, any imput? Thanks in advance.

2. lawnguy ny

lawnguy ny LawnSite Member

mike if you get to much give me a ring i m just down the road greg

3. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

After reading about your situation it reminds me of how I was introduced to the lawn business back in the mid 1980's.

My Story:
    I was hired on as the second member of a 2 man team handling residential lawns. We were primarily responsible for mowing, but did engage in landscaping from time to time. I was very green when I started in March but learned quickly. Within a couple weeks I could run my walk behind like it was part of my body from birth. By the beginning of May my Foreman was needed to supervise the commercial crew and I was "promoted" over night to Residential Foreman.

(Note: I got a whopping 25 cent raise to $5.00 an hour. Hehehe, LIFE WAS GOOD!)

Having only a few months exposure to the business I was a nervous wreck. I finally realized that I only needed to do what I was already doing plus some paper work. Eventually I had faith in my abilities to lead and I knew my Supervisor was just a radio call away should I have any problems. He knew this and after keeping an eye on me a few weeks let me run the crew as I deemed fit. To make a long story short I was able to knock 10 hours of time off our weekly route by simply rearranging our lawns. This allowed the company to make a better profit even after my crew earned a raise in pay.

(Note: Now I am up to $5.25/hour... Life was even better!)

My Thoughts:
    Here is what I am getting at. If you believe you have a competent and trustworthy employee who displays the ability to lead, has good common sense and can follow directions, allow him to do so. If he is on the ball he will be handling the new equipment and the role of "supervisor" with ease in no time. You can keep an eye on them from a distance or up close if need be. Make sure you keep the line of communications open with him and assure him it is OK to not know something and it is OK to ask for guidance. You don't have to promote him officially until you see him perform in the role. If it doesn't work out regroup and go with "Plan B".

By no means am I suggesting you do something you are not comfortable with, but I hope my story will aide you in the search for an answer.

Good Luck!
    Mark