Getting New 21", Need Few Opinions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Watwood, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

My yard isn't that big, so a 21" will do. I don't need self propelled, I can push with my own power, plus that's less stuff to break. So are the hondas really worth the extra money as opposed to Home Depot's 21" mower. Here are my choices thus far:

Yard Machine

Honda HRR216PDA

Honda HRC216PDA

Is the residentail Honda really worth the extra $140? We can go a step further and ask if the Commercial Honda will be worth the extra $550? It's just my yard which is about 1/3 acre.

2. dennis1

dennis1 LawnSite Member

Watwood, I would say the yard machine is junk, you would probably get maybe 3-4 seasons out of it. The homeowner honda is worth the extra 140 for the engine itself and could expect to get several seasons out of it. The commercial machine is built like a tank and with regular matainance you should expect to get 15-20 yrs service. If you mainly bag i would look at the hondas, if you mulch then i would look at the toro SR4 20053 5yr full warranty. I generally buy the best i can afford and keep up on the maintanence. Good luck shopping

3. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

honda commercial. even for the home. hands down. I paid 800 for a husqvarna top of the line 21 mower just for use at my own home.. i'll never have to buy one again.

4. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

Yeah, it's bermuda sod, I mostly mulch throughout the season. The only time I bag is when I scalp the yard.

5. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

toro commericial..just my thought

6. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Good choice. They have the Pro Line Heavy Duty models and the less expensive PT-21. I swung by the local Toro LCE dealer today as I was in the area to see what he's got new. Got to check out the PT-21 and it seems pretty solid...though, not as solid IMO as the Pro Line HD. The PT-21 has the same Kawasaki 6HP FJ180V engine and the 8" x 2" steel wheels with radial tread tires as on the HD model. The PT-21 also has the Personal Pace self propelled system and only available in zone start. Price is $849.00, IIRC. That's about how much I paid for my old Honda Masters some 10 years ago. The Pro Line HD's run around $1,200.00. They are definitely worth it, though. I have the Exmark Metro 21, which is the same machine. Mulches like nobody's business! :weightlifter:

7. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

Alright big ballers, I'm 24 and start my first "real" job after college in June, have a house payment and other bills and just can't justify spending a grand on a push mower right now. I can justify buying the Toro SR4 20053 or the Honda HRR216PDA, but not much else. Stopped by my local shop today that sells Toro, Honda, and Lawn Boy in 21" push mowers and he said he had a Toro in the warehouse, said he had only sold very few of the Honda I was asking about over the last couple of years (and was hinting he didn't want to go threw the trouble of getting one if I choose that one), but he did have a Lawn Boy in stock he was trying to push on me. Honda motor, push mower, but would it be as good as the Honda of Toro. I'm hard headed so I don't mind making him order the one that I want, and he shouldn't mind if he wants my business.

One more thing, I really wanted the Stihl 110 edger but not after the $450 price tag. I really wasn't expecting that. Guess that'll be a couple more years down the road.

8. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

i tell my customers to buy the best mower they can afford...i know there expensive,most of us have a house, payments,kids etc. too.but a good mower is the place to start.there is a differance between a big box store mower usually a 22'' and a pro model 21''. weigh the cost over 10-15 years of maint only vs. a new 22'' every 3 years or so..they only break at the worst possiable time ex. 95 degrees cook out that afternoon kids getting lost in the tall grass etc. its still cheaper than a trip to the long couch and a shrink...just my thoughts

9. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Here's an example of what you can get for under $200...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190099141095&rd=1&rd=1

I would look at the local classifieds, craigslist, ebay... listings and buy a good HOMEOWNER OWNED mower in person after demoing the machine. A little sweat equity (service, maintenance, sharpening...) + TLC and viola! You've got a great machine for a discount store price.

My family wasn't really well off when I was a teen (we'd just immigrated to the US) and my father not knowing any better bought a Murray from K-Mart for our first house. 4 years of endless aggravation and it was in the dumpster. It was replaced with a Toro that ran without problems for years.

When I bought my first house I bought a snapper high vac (20 years ago when snapper's were good). I ate PB&J for few months but it was well worth it. I used the mower for 9 years without any problems.

My sister and her husband when they bought her first house were similarly short cash and bought an el-cheapo yard machines that died after 2 years (My sister and her husband are kind of rough on their stuff). I gave them my 9 year old snapper and they used it without problem for several years before it finally died mostly due to neglect.

Since, I've bought a bigger house and have purchased used and have upgraded along the way... A snapper rider, then a Deere rider and finally a 48" Scag walk behind that had been owned by a co-worker who've since contracted out the lawn work. I put about 25hrs/year on it. Which is probably what the commercal guys put on their machines in a week or two. To a scag my property is just light stretching/warmup exercise. But... I've never had unscheduled maintenance of any sort on the machine.

When I bought the Scag I also bought a $700 (new) Honda Hydrostatic 21" for as my trim mower. Absolutely no problems/unscheduled maintenance on that mower as well.

Keep in mind that landscaping/lawn maintenance makes one's house look nicer and adds value to it. Given that there are only so many hours that anyone is able to dedicate for home maintenance+improvement, tf you have to spend time doing non-scheduled/planned maintenance on your equipment, it's time you're not adding value to your home.

10. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Honda is no longer making a comercial 21 in 07
    Try looking at snapper
    Alan