Getting new accounts...door to door!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 6, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

OK, I need your feedback on this.

Next year, about 4 weeks before mowing starts, I was thinking of going door to door and trying to get some additional accounts. basically knock on their door and introduce myself. Soft sell them the opportunity to get a free estimate if they so choose, and then hand them my card and brochure.

Only if it sounds like their remotely interested, would I try to sign the for the season.

Well, what do you all think?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I used to go door to door when I was younger. Probably received a 2 to 3% response.

Check with your local city or county for a "peddlers permit" before you go door to door. Sometimes they will make you pay a fee and sign some papers before its legal

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The key I've found is all in the timing. Most people don't seem to think much about the grass until it starts growing. Whenever I've flyered in March, I've gotten almost nothing. Then April hits and people get curious... then about April 10th or so, the grass takes of and people panic. That's the best time to strike.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Good points...so when do you think would be a good time to knock on folks doors? Sat, or during the week. If during the week, I would think there would be more of a chance that folks would be at work.

I think Sunday is a definite no no.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

During week would probably be from 6pm to 8pm. Saturday, late morning, early afternoon like from 10am to 2pm. That is what I feel would work. You don't want to be there too early in the morning, at lunch, when they just get home from work, or just sit down for dinner

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Weekends I'm sure would be best. Sundays you might encounter folks who don't want to be bothered, but others might not care. Where I'm at, a lot of people seem to work from home, when I mow on Saturdays I see less people home than during the week.

7. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Man, just go anytime and leave a brochure/card on their door if they're not home. On the brochure, say "Sorry i missed you." or something like that. If they're interested, they'll call. I wouldn't waist my time talking to EVERYBODY, cause not everyone is looking to have their lawn cut.

8. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I'd say going door to door would be very time consuming as opposed to just dropping off a flyer, and who likes people knocking on their door trying to sell them something anyway, not me thats for sure!

9. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I hate it when people come to my door for anything ... My three dogs go berzerk, the baby has just finally gone down for her nap, I'm in the middle of the football game, or heaven forbid, this is that once a month when the wife is feeling frisky and I'm about to show here the best 30 seconds of her life ... then "DING-DONG" ... unless you owe me money and have cash in hand, don't ring that bell. Send out some fliers, put an add in the paper, let me decide when I want to take the time out to talk to you about my lawn. Just my 2 cents ... OK, maybe a nickel.

10. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing that i did was look at just where did i want my accounts to be. Then i went and looked up thoses neighborhoods via tax records.Sent them all a mailer and got about 1% from that.

Then did door hangers and recived a few accounts, while mowing the accounts that i had i would hang both houses on the same side of the street that i was mowing and then two houses across from that house.

Advertising in one of the shopper style paper's has done more good than any thing else.Also once i get in an area you will over time have people come up to and ask if you would take a look at their yard, if their yard is the first i usaly give them a slight break just too get in especialy if it is gated.:alien: :alien: