1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting new business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 23, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Things are going pretty slow right now. I just started last month and have a handfull of accounts. ALL of these came from walking door to door and setting up handshake monthlys.

My number wont be in the YP until next year and I was wondering of some other things to do. Ideas? Do service directorys work?

How long did it take you guys to live reasonably and gather at least say 20 accounts? My wife is starting to look at me funny.
  2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

News paper adds , flyers , direct mail. keep going door to door and get your name out there. good luck
  3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I started last year part time. I got my first ones through flyers and word of mouth. That is really the only time I advertised. I went full time in May. i only had about 8 accounts but I felt that I could do it. Now I have over 20 accounts. I know that is not much but I make good off of these. These are all full service accounts.
    Just treat them like gold and always do your best and you will get the work. I have found out that talking to customers and really getting to know them on a friendly basis is best. Thats lets them know that you really do care. They will put the word out. Man, I love my job.
    Oh, and don't ever turn down work if you have the time.
    My hats off to you for going door to door to speak one on one. I never could do that.
    Oh, and don't lowball. If you do quality work you don't have to anyway, just name your price.
  4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

you might try some door hangers. i tried them a few years back and they payed off. got some high-end res accounts at a golf course and they are still with me. you can get them from nebs.

good luck