getting new business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMaster84, Sep 10, 2003.

1. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

the lawn season will be ending soon and i want to know if i should try to get some more customers now or the next yard cutting season. also, there are some new neighborhoods starting to grow near me what is the best way to go about advertising my lawn service.
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

beat on doors. I have 10 prospects for next year. why not this year? None have yards yet. Catchem early before the compitition does. then you set the price for the new areas not some one trying to get beer money.
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Get on them now. all they can do is tell you to come back in the spring. And if they do. Be there for spring clean up.
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

One of the other LCO's I was talking with has already landed 3 new commercial accounts for next year. Why wait?
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, Duh!
    No, go inside your house, lock the door, don't come out till spring, new customers will be waiting on your front lawn waiting for you to cut their lawn and take their money.

I'm sorry, but some questions just don't need to be asked, and yes, I'm moody, so!
  6. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of money to be made in the Autumn.

1. One of the best times to plant / transplant.
    2. Aeration / Overseed etc.
    3. Leaves / Cleanups
    4. Many of your older customers come back out with the weather cooling and again take notice of their needs.
    5. Many people have had enough time to realize they are not satisfied with "Johnny come lately" and will now make a change.
    6. I picked up 2 good high end accounts last September, the guy they had wrote them a letter stating he was 'going to the Bahamas for the winter, see them in the spring'...guess what?
    7. Early bird always catches the worm.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am going after customers really heavy this year, compared to previous years
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad you brought up Fall cleanups in your post. This is an EXCELLENT "foot in the door" opportunity to tell other members about to upsell many other services. So many people now, like to just have it done and be done with it, that there is ample amount (of clean-ups) out there to get in on. I'll tell you one thing that I like to do, for instance.... Many of times, when we take on a Fall cleanup, their shrubbery hasn't been trimmed since July, and while it doesn't look real bad, there are usually quite a few chutes straggling up. I mention that with the holidays and such coming up, would they like to have their shrubbery nice and clean for the season, and how nice it would look, and that if it was done now, they would have nice perfectly trimmed shrubs all through the holidays. Well, that's all it takes. They go for it, and we are making good extra money just by dusting off these shrubs, and look what happens operation-wise. The cleanup and pick-up of the stuff all goes hand in hand with the Fall clean-up, because the shrubs are being blown out and cleaned ANYway! This is just ONE example. Now, we don't have to charge a whole lot to do this, since we are merely quickly just going over them, but it's well worth it for what we do. ...We are already there...;)
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what's going on right now, but I have been hammered by new business in the last 2 weeks. Actually in the last 3 months. I just picked up 2 new comm'l jobs that I started cutting one tonight. People are looking right now. To many people (scrubs and I don't use that term lightly and hardly ever) are dropping the ball right now. Stuff is just falling in my lap. So much so, I can't keep up.

Get out there and talk to people. Everyone is a contact.
  10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

Send your overflow my way hoss