getting new bussiness

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by weldon, Jan 10, 2006.

1. weldon

weldon LawnSite Member

I live in a small town in south texas, and I have advertised on radio and newspapers for business. I cant seem to get the word out. I work out of my home,does anyone have any advise.........thanks
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Have you tried fliers, doorhangers, anything of that nature?
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How small of a town is it? I use a local smaller classified paper, all it has in it are classified ads and service ads. Just keep plugging away. If ya do get any jobs make sure you do your absolute best and word of mouth will get around.
  4. weldon

weldon LawnSite Member

The size of town is about 3k.I am doing a church right now, and the pastor always says what a great job I am doing. So you would think I would get some referals. I have tried newspaper, got 1 through there, lost it because property was sold. I havent done the flyer thing, that would be pretty easy
    with a program like print shop or something...I guess I have just been playing around with this but now I have to get serious, my wife lost her job so................................................................Thanks for the advise
    I will be back to let you know how its going..........
  5. allisland

allisland LawnSite Member

Put a add in the church bulletin if allowed that is always a great way especially since you maintain the grounds already.
  6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Have you tried the yellow pages, not very expensive when compared to the newspaper. We do both, can't really say what works best, I should do better at asking folks where they heard about us.

Also, you might try yard signs, you can get them made at a sign shop. I haven't done this, but I'm thinking about it.
  7. weldon

weldon LawnSite Member

I really appreciate the replies,this is a great site. I have just a few hours each week to contribute to my business, but I hope to build it into a full
    time job one day.....I am going to try all of these things,actually its kind of
    common sense, I have always heard people say that they have so much work,
    its kinda nice to know that we are all in the same boat, we have to work at getting customer and also keeping them.I guess its not just a simple answer,
    to my question. The other thing is it hasnt rained in about 3 months!!!!!!!!!
    Thats not helping matters either.
  8. weldon

weldon LawnSite Member

This question has a lot of different answers but I have a friend in a larger city, and has a part time business like mine ,and he said the hourly rate is 60.00 per hour. Im just thinking for a two hour job 120.00, is that what everybody is charging?
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too work in a smaller city and it is hard to get work sometimes. The best method is referral and word of mouth though. Try the yellow pages and see whether that works out or not.

Also try to get back to basics; go door to door, fliers in local businesses, inserts in newspapers, participate in community events...anything to get your name out there. Even if you don't necessarily get the customers right away, it is great name branding for you
  10. weldon

weldon LawnSite Member

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people that responded to all my postings, I ran an ad in the local paper, and I have more work than I can do(well I will get it done)anway just wanted to say what a great site this is with some good info.......thanks again
    K and W lawn service