1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting New Clients.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by David Marshall, Jan 21, 2006.

1. David Marshall

David Marshall LawnSite Member
    from Spain

My experience of getting new clients has been quite good. I started out 1 year ago in Spain, and although at the moment I have little work on (middle of winter and all) I am fairly confident that by April i will be fully booked for a few week in advance. I have only advertised via flyers door to door and also in the local supermarkets. Thebresponse has been good. In general I would say that about a 2% success rate in the door to door and 10% in the supermarkets. It also doesnt do any harm to get to know other gardening companies in your area. I have contact with a supply shop (who also takes regular clients and landscaping jobs) but when he can not take a job on he passes it to me. And there not all small jobs. If your good to your suppliers and customers the rest follows. Word of mouth has been a small success as well. But definately recomend flyers and supermarkets.
  2. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

do you actually talk to homeowners when you go door to door?
  3. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

what exactly do u do at the supermarket?(explain in detail) im looking to start this year and im trying toget as many accounts as possible!
  4. David Marshall

David Marshall LawnSite Member
    from Spain

I should have made myself clearer. By door to door I meant just putting leaflets in letterboxes and when they dont have them,their gates. If they are out at the time then I stop and explain who I am and then leave them a leaflet. For the supermarkets I leave an A4 poster with tear off numbers on the bottom. That way they can see the service i,m offering and instead of looking for a pen to copy my number they tear off the telephone number and name and have it for when they need it. This has really been definately easier than walking 10 miles, but the canvassing is important too. I have canvassed the same estate 4 times and still get new customers from there every time.