Getting new customers. Idea!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jphag, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Has anyone thought of trying this?

I am trying to taget upper scale homes and was thinking of something different to try to attract new customers and this came to mind.

How about giving a gift card to a resturant or department store for lets say $50 if they sign an agreement. Maybe make a flyer and offer a free gift card to a place of their choice if they sign up. I know I enjoy it when I receive gift cards for birthday or christmas. Also you would be able to write this off as a business expense.

What's your thoughts.
  2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea. But, why give something away? Just advertise in the specific area heavy. Once you get a foot in the door your work should get you more clients. Thats how i've always done it.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

It would work even better if you had a friend (customer?) that owned a restaurant and would give you a break on a quantity of gift certificates. This would help you both out.
    I've thought of this idea in the past, and I have a customer that owns a nice restaurant in town, I thought I would approach him with the idea. I dont need to spend the money, though, I have enough work. I think it would be a nice gesture to your customers.
    One thing I would do, print some GC's with your name and the restaurant name, or some other way to track where they came from. That way you can both monitor how much business you share.
    Maybe even give the rest. owner a bunch of 'free mow' certificates to hand out periodically to some patrons that he thinks could use your services. Especially if you already service his property, he should speak kind of you.
    Good luck with it!
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How large, in dollars, is the agreement you are thinking about? What would it have cost you last year? It seams like it would be expensive and I'm not sure that you would have closed that many more deals.
  5. 3day240sx

3day240sx LawnSite Member

Why not do all the restaurants landscaping and lawncare for free if you can put a couple signs out for the customers to see. If there landscaping is nice then the customers will also see your work while seeing your name.
  6. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

I was thinking something like a $25 or $50 gift card to a steak house, home depot, walmart, etc. My yearly agreements are at least $1000 for mowing and trimming only. Plus upperscale homes you have all the other services you offer. It is just something different other than a free mowoing or %10 off.
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think a $50 gift card is going to close a deal. What might be better is to send them the gift card at Christmas thanking them for their business. This way it is unexpected and something they will remember when renewal time comes around.