Getting new customers this late in the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Jun 1, 2010.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to get new customers this late? Other than refferals of course. I put out some flyers with the estimates right on them, never tried it before, didn't get a single call. What's the best way you've found?

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I found that it was very hard to get new customers after about july 4th. By then they have hired someone or bought a new mower.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure there is any particular "method" for picking up new accounts well into the season, but it seems that every year we do (got two new ones this week). One had personal issues with the person who was mowing, and the other just moved to town.

It is about this time that some guys starting a business get disillusioned, and quit showing up. Seems like every year I get a couple of those calls. Good luck.

4. well i am about to open a whole can of worms here but we are throwing 800 flyers a week. I have tweaked my flyer over the last 3 years we are closing accounts left and right. We closed 5 new mowing customers last week and 4 spring clean ups. We have been averaging about 3 new mowing customers a week.

5. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with that, and here in LA the heat really starts going so customers are ready to get a LCO to do it.

6. Ron's TLL

Ron's TLL LawnSite Member

how about posting your flier for all to see? I am always looking for new ideas.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

heres mine... print on 100# glossy stock and looks good to me.

I have 3000+ left.

Attached Files:

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This time of year I start getting calls and emails with people who are unhappy with the job their current LCO is providing. I got three of these calls today. All pretty much the same. I only advertize online so it's just a pretty steady stream all year long. Sometimes I get bursts of a lot of calls and some weeks its slow, but it normally evens out.

9. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you advertise online, is there a specific site that a lot of people in your area use?
    I got a new customer today b/c the guy who was mowing for her never trimmed and only mowed the perimeter of the back yard and then left she was cursing left and right just telling me about it. I hope she's not mean and was just mad about his negligence.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

we get them all year long