1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting new mower tommorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeklein, Jun 18, 2002.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

As some of you may know,I bought a Swisher 42" mower from a tractor supply store.It was an 8.5 B/S engine.about a month ago,it worked well(slow) for about 3 weeks,then it started stalling like every 5 minutes.I took it back to be repaired,they said it would take 2 weeks! I have 11 yards a week to cut!I fianally said I wanted my money back.They gave me a full refund!I went to an Exmark dealer and looked at a 48" metro with 14 hp kawasaki,it was there last one,they agreed to give it to me for $2600.fianally I have something dependable.my next thing will be a velke for it,so I can use its 6.2mph ground speed.
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if ya get a velke get the 2 wheeled one i have a single wheeled one and it really will start to rut lawns after a while and really put ruts in it if its a bit moist
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Swisher or eXmark, maybe you should ask for another Swisher. haha. Just kidding.

Good choice in mowers. You'll be adding more customers real soon.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a two-wheel velke and one-wheel Velkes.

The two-wheeler wore out at the bushings and pins very quickly.

It was impossible to repair, just slap-wore out in 500 hours.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Next time buy one that has replacable parts. Many brands do. Second, with 500 hours of time, at about $50 an hour, that's about $25,000. So, don't ya think the velky at $250 has paid for itself???????? Buy a Bullrider, that can be run either in fixed mode, or castor mode. It has replacable bushing.........
  6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new mower. I hope you get many productive and profitable hours out of it !!
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mike Klein,

Congrats on the new mower! I'm sure you'll be happy!

One thing though.....the 6.2mph mowing!

I don't have a 48"/14hp Exmark Metro, but I do have a 48"/14hp SCAG (Very similar). Cant get mine to mow decent past 2nd gear! Sometimes when the grass is thin I can squeak by in 3rd, but 4th and 5th are just there for transport for me! There just isn't enough HORSEPOWER/Inch for high speed cutting (.29hp/" in this case).

There are some mowers in the .50hp/" area!!!
  8. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

Congrats on your new eXmark! i love mine, and i have a 2 wheel velke...no probs. yet..best of luck to you:D