Getting new trimmer, but which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 6, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi guys, I'm going to get a new trimmer (yea!) but not sure which one. It needs to be either Echo or Stihl. I think that the Stihl may be a better dealer in my case, but I'd get the Echo if it had what I wanted with it. It needs to be these two brands because of my budget. I can't go get a $500 Redmax or Shindaiwa (Stihl dealer sells Shinny's and I would get one if the price was right). Well anyhow, Here's what I would require:
    Straight shaft
    Small loop handle
    Bump feed dual line head that works correctly ever time you bump it; doesn't jam up like cheap ones do
    Around 16" - 18" trimming swath
    Enough power to turn that head with some more left to spare

And here's the optional attachments I might be interested in (not necesarily all of them would i get, this is just what I've been thinking about):
    Blower head (don't think they sell them for these two brands, but I could use one)
    Hedge pruner head
    Pole saw head
    Edger head

Those are just the ones I could use, if I had them, not necesarily what I'm getting, but the blower head is fairly important. The edger, well I wouldn't need it really, but might be nice for establishing new edges. Hedge pruner, not really something I need, but might use if I had. Pole saw, again not something necesary but might use it if I had it.
    So what I want is a straight shaft 25cc approx. motor with a loop handle, bump feed dual line head, and a blower attachment (fat chance huh) The other attachments I probably won't get.
    So since Echo and Stihl don't sell blower heads for the trimmers, got any other ideas? Any other brand that's comparable in quality, value and price that has a blower head?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need the split shaft stihl. Not really sure why you would be looking for a blower head??

Anyway, I don't run the split shafts due to theft. Even on the trimmer trap, all someone would have to do is flip the lever and pull the trimmer out each side of the rack.

I run the FS85's and the only attachment I have for it is the hedge trimmers. Now that is a really nice thing to have. Sure makes bushes easy.

The Stihl fs85 has plenty of power. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've ran it at wide open throttle. I never need it. I run it at 1/3 to 1/2 most of the time.

The 1st FS85 I bought it still my favorite. It is mine. Everyone else uses the newer ones. The one on the top of the rack is mine. It has tons of hours on it and still runs and works like new.
  3. ditto on what 65 hoss said the stjhl 85 has been great for us .
    We got 2 fs 80's and 2 85's they both the same trimmer the 85's just have the solid shaft.
    We use pretty much use all stihl two cycle stuff it has served us well.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I need a blower head because I don't have a blower (well I have two Homelites that don't run and I'm trying to stay away from Homelite after my last run-in with one :mad: )
    You said you run FS85's, what are the letter extensions? such as:
    FS85 RX
    FS85 R
    FS85 RT
    The RX looks like a good trimmer but says it will only take trimmer heads, no hedge clippers. The FS85 R must be what you have; attachments w/o the split shaft. The FS85 RT looks like a split shaft like you mentioned. I guess I'll go to the dealer and see what he has. How much are the FS85 R or RT trimmers? How much are the hedge pruners? I would call my dealer but it's only 7:15 am. trying to get opinions before I call him LOL.
  5. bushhogboy

Here at my dealer i just bought a fs85 for 330 tax and all about a month ago didnt get no attachments for it so i dont know what the attachments cost.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I was thinking (or maybe hoping) that it would be about a hundred less than that. I remember this spring I called my dealer to see about a Stihl and he told me a FS55 I think was around $200. Maybe a FS85 would be too much for me anyhow. I only need it to trim grass and maybe hedges (possibly get the power pruner head). I don't have alot of propertys but they are usually larger so I want a somewhat light trimmer. Maybe a FS55 RT would fit the bill. That is the split shaft one. Ya, a FS55 RT would probably be best for budget and attachments and weight, value, etc. Will check into it.
  7. bushhogboy

It was 309 tax and all we paid, i went and looked at the sales slip
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I sure would rethink my approach to things if I was afraid to buy something because of theft. If things are that bad, I'd have an enclosed trailer, which I assume any good business should already have. Next, if I really was worrying about theft, I keep the splitboom stuff in the truck , locked, while at the job.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Anyone used the FS55 RT? I think it would be better for me than the 85 series. I just need light commercial duty, and want a lightweight one that can take few attachments. It's 8:10 now so I will call the dealer and see what he says. Then I'll go look at them after I call around alittle. Thanks,
  10. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Just be aware that the FS 55 is a homeowner quality unit. If that is all the budget will bear, then it is better than a Homelite or Ryobi. You may want to look at the Echo SRM 2100, about the same money as the FS55, but has a pretty decent commercial following and does have a commercial warranty, as well.