Getting out of mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just curious to find out how many of you on here would like to get out of mowing and pursue other green industry ventures, like landscaping, applications, waterscapes, or hardscapes etc.?

It's not the mowing that I dislike. It's the ancillary things that come along with mowing that I don't like. I've put a lot of thought into it and decided that I'd be happiest if I sold my box truck and mowers and just focused on growing the application side of my business. While I do like the steady, repeating income of my mowing accounts, I know I'd be happier doing nothing but applications. I absolutely love that side of the business.

While I'd be lying if I said that I'm not a little apprehensive about venturing into the unknown, I know that failure is not an option for me. I've set myself up so that I'm financially ready for this move, so I guess now is the time for me to make this happen.

Vic

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I can't imagine myself ever getting completly out of the maintenance side of the business strickly because it's a stable revenue generator. I would like to branch out into other areas like landscape lighting, hardscaping, and ponds but I would still keep the maintenance side of things around.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can correct me if I am wrong, but unfortunately it is very much so you are in the maintenance side of the business first is the fact you get the other premium add-on services such as fert, aerating, mulch, etc. from those same clients...is it not?

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you put it that way, I guess I'd still be considered to be still doing maintenance. With that said, I still have no desire to offer mowing services, just for the chance to land extra application, or aeration work. I'm sad to say that mowing has lost it's luster for me.

Vic

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Full service lawn maintenance, provides a constant cash flow.It also provides opportunity to sell clients on landscape renovations,complete landscape reinstalls.The margins are not as high as our istallations,but very profitable.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

very much so Bill...and keeps my people working all the time too

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would never condider getting out of mowing. best $ for the effort (except lawn spraying)

8. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing is great. For every hour I spend doing it, I gross about 60; give or take a few. Great revenue generation, if your mower pays off and runs efficiently with minimal repairs, it adds up fast.
    I am not knocking the rest of the industry, but I find myself more exhausted after doing all the manual labor involved in everything else. With mowing all I have to do is sit, while my helper does everything else for $12.00 per hour. That is at least 48 dollars in my pocket for pushin a couple hydro levers and driving a truck. Not something for a college kid to complain about.
    Mowing is great for getting your foot in the door for other projects too.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spoken like somebody who.

1-Does not know what his cost of business is.

2- Is not paying payroll taxes, workers compensation, etc on that employee.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The only advice I could give is from my own experience. I got into the lawn business as an applicator, branched into mowing, decided to just do applications and sold all my mowing accounts, got bored just doing applications and added mowing again. This has all been over the last 11 years. I learned that although I am best at the application side and actually make a little more $$$. I really enjoy the mowing side. It's a great diversion to go out w/ a member of the mowing crew once or twice a week and drive some mowers. Good luck whatever you decide!