getting out of the biz

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrontierOhio, Aug 11, 2006.

1. FrontierOhio

FrontierOhio LawnSite Member

I have been in lawn care for 13 years and owned my own business for three years. I have had to hire a cutting crew to handle my 50 accounts because in March I was diagnosed with cancer.

I have lost 15 accounts since then due to shotty work and gone through 4 employees. I am afraid the best thing for my family is to get out and try a 9-5 job. We have gotten so into debt trying to keep it going it is no longer worth it.
    What is the best way to sell off my accounts and equipment?
    Thank you.

2002 F350 4 door
    Dane 48" WB
    Dane 61" WB
    Myers plow
    Echo trimmers
    Echo Edgers
    Echo Blowers
    Bed Shaper
    *trucewhiteflag*

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im so sorry to hear about your cancer. My dad had throad cancer and had to have his voice box removed. Now he has a big hole in his throat.

As far as your business.
    Sell the equiptment on ebay or maybe find another LCO to buy it all. Put an ad in the flyer, paper where you can.

I wish you and the family well. I hope you find something you like and are able to survive.

Good luck
    Chad

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry to hear that and i wish you the best of luck.

in addition to what has been suggested, i would try the marketplace here.

again, good luck.

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry - double post

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Also sorry to here the news...hope the treatment works out for you.
    and also I agree right here on this lawn site would be a great place for you to sell your equipment...All the best
    Daner

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I just went through 3 operations in the past year, all cancer related, three rounds of chemo. Been in the same boat. Its best to look long term.

Selling and taking care of the debt sounds prudent. I understand what you are going through.

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

One option may be to get that full time job but keep some equipment and a few of your best properties. This is assuming that you are well enough to mow part time. If I were in your position, that is what I would consider.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps I will throw in my 2 cents.

In June of 1993, I was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer (Stage 1). I went through 36 radiation treaments over the course of 2 months, a total of 7500 rads and extremely painful during the last 2 weeks. September I was told I was Aok. November came and I was losing my voice again. Biopsy in December said my tumor reappeared and I was now a Stage 4 (not good) I can tell ya.

January 12th of 94 I went through a 13 hour operation. Yup, I am one of those with a hole in his neck and have to use a machine to talk since it was either removal of my voice box or not seeing the second 1/2 of February. In mid April of that year, I started my LCO has a single proprietor.

I don't know what type of cancer you have, but I survived and my lawn care op has (with my employees numbering as many as 11 during the busy season) thrived. I can only wish you the best and hope that maybe you will think to reconsider selling.

You may reach me at my email address as well at rspronck@aol.com if I can be of assistance...God bless.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Best wishes to you and your family, I hope all works out well.

You're not going to get too much for 35 accounts and some equipment so maybe just sell off the accounts and keep the equipment for later.

Dunno, it's a tough decision............

10. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

:clapping: :canadaflag: :usflag: