getting out of the cutting business to focus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Oct 1, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

Today I made a decision that I have been thinking about for a while. I decided that I prefer to do the landscape design and installation rather than the mowing. I notified all my customers today via phone and plan to send a follow up letter. It started as a part time gig doing the design and install on the side, but i have seem to get real good at it and find that there is more $$$$$$ to be made than in the cutting. I have already nailed down 2 housing developments for the spring and have people waiting for plans on redesigning their yards. Seems like this is the way to go. I hope........ payup

2. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Installation is lucrative as long as you stay booked constantly, though in my experience its like getting married when someone spends thousands with you, then they over or under water or have tons of questions days, months, or years later. I can assure you they do not want to pay anything for future advice or visits if you did the install.

Builders are good source of ongoing business, usually they are not picky, but you can expect to have to almost give it away to keep the account! If the housing market tanks or the builder folds you are done!

You can make a good living either way, but these are a few things I ran into early in my career. :dizzy:

3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

the good thing is that I don't depend on this for my income.. I started doing lawn care as a side job a while ago. It started as a summer thing working for a golf course nearby, which got me into this. I realized that it would be a nice part time job, only to have it develop into a full time job. Now where I am going to concentrate on a few big things I can make more money in less time.