Getting out of the yard business! Ive had enough

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I deal with mostly commercial and they choose the lowest bidder every time. If someone is cheaper the next yr. by $10, they get rid of you. This has happened to me way too many times. I wish I could get away from that cheapest bidder mentality. I was going to bid on a school system last yr. with over 60 acres of turf in the county. The man accepting the bids told me to not waste my time because the guy who had been doing it only charged $37,000/yr. for the entire system. He said that if he were crazy enough to do it that cheap, they would keep giving it to him. He said that I'd do the same if I were in his position. I can name other numerous examples but I don't have enough time.

2. anrick

anrick LawnSite Member

While that me be true were you are from but it is different were i am at i live in the Bahamas and the majority of yards down here is alot different than were you are from it normally takes you guys about 20-30 minutes to clean a yard, on avarage a yard 50 by 100 here it will take us 1 1/2 hrs to do that same yard ,in the rainy season here its worse the magority of homes require a once a month service and alot of them is bushes and weeds so you are press for time and thats why you end up with more guys man i can write a book on how it works here in the Bahamas and youl be suprise

3. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Quality Lawn-After all these yrs, I've learned that a lot of people in this business:dizzy: will fill your head full of crap. It has always amazed me how some people can make $1000/hr. and have their phone ringing off the hook-they must be sent from heaven! They could probably get rich selling umbrellas in the desert also!

4. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

I may be intrested in some equipment sorry about ur business

5. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

Umbrellas in the desert...Where can I buy one?! Sounds like a great way to keep the sun off your neck!

6. Gretna Valley Landscape

Gretna Valley Landscape LawnSite Member

hey man just curious how you made out...can you give any updates...i really feel for you...i dont like to see anybody struggle...if i could help you out i would...best of luck to you brother

7. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Yea...but Tony bass lives in bonaire ga....wherever the he'll that is in middle ga...and can talk an Eskimo into buying a refrigerator. He talked the projects with a 200k budget into spending 400k the next yr just because he's Tony bass!!!! Riiiiight....and if you believe that.....at least I have heard of waycross...unlike bonaire!!! No....I understand where you're coming from....it's not an easy business here in ga when there are 10000 lawn services on every corner cutting each other's throats. But....u have a lot of people in this business who'll blow smoke up your as@@ and say they're getting rich and kicked backed on the beach in June while their company runs itself....ugh uh...tony...grounds guys....a lot of people on here. And this is a necessity....brain surgery is a necessity....not "making grass shorter"...! I just believe in being realistic. You can do ok in this business but you won't get rich at it...it needs to be something u do because u have a passion for it. If not...it's not the right fit. Yea...it takes a lot of work and it's a lifestyle....but not impossible.

8. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Get busy advertising sounds like your in a little town like me overruns with LCO's and dopeheads trying to gank yards for nothing to go grab a bag of meth seriously that bad here.

My towns like 10k of wide crappy country terrain, I also took a big hit on customers moving this year and new LCO's yet more again popping up, but the heat hits and most drop like flies during that time of year, I know there will be 2 new perm. LCOs this year.

Just got to stick with it hit the resi's, commercials, advertise where you can gas stations / papers it's there if you want it bad enough. I love doing this and I am only making a fraction of what I could be earning in the boilers which is over 100k a year easy welding, but hate traveling and this may be pretty brutal on my body being solo at least I wont die 20yrs quicker from all the inhaled fumes/smoke lol

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This thread is from 2004. Pretty sure he is gone out of business by now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.