getting paid after you dump them

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how many of you had to dump a customer for whatever reason, and how hard was it to get paid the final bill after you dumped them?

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

not hard after I turned them over to a collection agency

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem whatsoever. Of course, all of my contract customers are required to pay for the month in advance!

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't know about NJ, but here in the sunshine state a licensed contractor can lean their house if they refuse or fail to pay without just cause. Just the threat of that usually opens up their wallet quick.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh, believe me, i know how to get my money, i'm just asking, do they try and pull a fast one if u need to cancel them? my experience shows, that when u tell them you are cancelling, they don't think they need to pay the balance owed.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i have never gotten stiffed (KOW)

my father is a lawyer, so im sure a lien would be up pretty quick, then court.

7. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I always get one month up front and call it the last month's service pre-paid. Only way I'd get hurt is if I cancel the agreement I'd owe them one month's refund or a free month's mowing.

8. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I had to do it once. The day after I dropped them I sent them a letter telling them what would happen if they didn't pay. Received the check 3 days after I sent the 1st letter.