Getting paid by real estate agents!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by alpine692003, Jan 14, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I just emailed a real estate agent and he was impressed with my email that I sent him. He said he would like some work done by me at some of his client's residential homes.

I was curious, how do you get paid by real estate agents? is it the same as residential's billing at the end of month?

Do you print an invoice and give it to the real estate agent and collect the money at the end of the month?

2. keyth

keyth LawnSite Member

I never did lawns for them only mulch and things like that but i just gave them a invoice after each job.

3. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen LawnSite Member

I would stay away from realtors unless you work for them personally. I have had a difficult time dealing with them and collecting from them (in general). I do have several that are personal customers and there is never a problem getting paid from them. If I do not know them personally I must receive "funds in advance" before I will do any work.

My worst case took me 3 phone hours over 4 months to collect.

Good Luck

4. alpine692003

Oh really eh? So you suggest when dealing with the real estate agent, I get money up front 1st? So what you're saying is this type of scenario?

I meet with real estate at designated site. I ask him, what would he like me to do? He tells me full lawn care, leaf cleanups. I then bill him $500. I tell him, before I do any work I would like $500 upfront 1st?

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have worked for a few real estate agents, but we didn't get paid from them.
    A real estate agent called us, we placed a bid on the lawn, the agent asked their client, when the client approved us, then we were hired. But we always billed the client that was selling the home. We billed monthly. The real estate agent never dished out any money.

6. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen LawnSite Member

Apparently I am not charging enough or your properties a very large. If I am to take on a monthly account like that (for a realitor I do not know) it is not unreasonable to ask for the first month in advance or at least for a 50% down payment for a one time clean up. After 14 years in business I like to be sure of who I am dealing with.

7. keyth

keyth LawnSite Member

I think they pay great and i never had problems with getting money from them.

8. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

this is my first year. i have dealt with a total of three and they all have been cheap when it comes to paying.the one good thing is they did not want it done perfect just look reasonable. i had done three for one at $30 dollars a cut. he asked me to cut one that had grown waist high so when i told at least $40 he said no. the other wanted 40 lots done and they all had at least knee high grass and wanted me to cut them at $19 a lot i said it would have to be more she never called back.:mad:

9. alpine692003

Well, lets say you got your 1st job with the real estate agent.

1) He saids to go to this designated site to just mow the lawn and you tell him $40.

Are you going to ask him for $40 up front / 50% deposit (sounds stupid) / do the job then send him the bill?

I am going in to the real estate office this friday to discuss some business.

2) What are some suggestions you guys ask for from the real estate?
    ie) getting paid monthly
    ie) asking for 50% deposit on all jobs above $500

throw me some ideas! :blob1:

10. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

i have decided when it comes to real estate agents to ask for the money up front but it really depends on how big the job is, if your gonna have a contract or if you feel you can trust the guy. if no contract and you get stiffed on a $30 job are you going to be running around trying to collect. what if he tells you to cut several then bill at end of month and does not pay? when you talk to him ask what the average amount of yards to cut any given month and try and work from there. if he tells you a set amount tell him you can make a contract for a certain amount due at the end of month for those lawns and if any extra they will be added on the invoice. this past year i did two different sites for a trailer park owner and when i would invoice i would list each address that a job was performed.