1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting paid from hotels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Mar 15, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Who has trouble getting paid from hotels? I did a one time cut last summer sent a bill for $105.00 and I finally got paid just over 6 months later. I now have a different hotel I have been working for, they have racked up about $2000 in snow removal (no comments on I would have stopped service before it got that much because 1400 of it was from one month) anyways I sent thier bill out jan 15, and now its middle of march and after repeated calls I always here corporate office has your bill they are aware of the charges and the bill is being processed. This BS, it's a major chain hotel, they have the money why the hell does it take this long to get paid? What really makes me mad is one of the snow storms I was an hour late because I had a truck break down, and of course I get a from the manager who let me have it about being an hour late, when its fine if their 2-3 months late paying a bill. After I had the my truck break down I have sub contracted this job out to a friend, I have been paying him out of my pocket since I havent recieved payment from them so as of now I'm down almost 4000. Just venting here but this total crap if you ask me.
  2. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

That sucks. Definately a problem there. I have no trouble with the hotel I mow and landscape for but I also know them. It is a nationally owned hotel chain as well and they are very prompt about paying me and I have never had any trouble. It does sound like some bs to me.
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

send them a letter saying that you will take it to court, or if you can have the court send a letter(if you can). Or if you know a lawyer have them send a letter. Don't take know crap from million dollar commercials. If the main office is near go there and give them some lip.
  4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me and I thought I was being walked on, I would go down there and have a calm face-to-face meeting with the general manager in his office. Calm. Not antagonistic. You explain that your expectations are not being met as far as receiving payment and it is something you cannot accept. Then you resolve the problem. That is step 1.

Step 2. When the money doesn't come, you call the general manager and raise the stakes with an ultimatium and an expression of disappointment and irritation. Give him a little bit of time to get the situation fixed.

Step 3. When that deadline passes and the money still hasn't come, you provide one final warning. You give him a deadline to come up with the money. And you tell him the consequences of them not paying. You explain that this is the last reasonable collection effort you will make, and that they will then see what your dark side is like.

The consequences of not paying will be:

a.) Permanent cessation of services.
    b.) Public embarrasment in the local community, and
    c.) Damage to customer goodwill...

You will picket their establishment and declare all out jihad on them until they pay up.

Ultimately, you take them to court if necessary.
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Send them a letter saying they have 72 hrs or you'll turn it over to a collection Co..
    Also send a copy to corporate office and let the manager know about it.
  6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

they are using you for the almighty "cash flow"
  7. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Worked for 3 seperate hotels, with 3 seperate owners, all happened to be from the same ethinticity. I got screwed by on efor $600, one for $1200 and one for $ 1340. Took the first two to court and lost both times.I finally went Bobby Gedd on the third one, baseball bat and all, unforetuneately that little incident ended up with the cops being called. Never got my money but the cop told me he didnt blame me and didnt even file a report.......Stay away from hotels and other large chains....my 2 cents
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what are the due dates documented on the contracts/and or bills?
  9. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Yep,get an attorney if you are going to play Big League Ball so you can
    write up the rules to get paid on a TIMELY basis.Have you ever heard of OPM?
    They are sure doing it to you.I would be talking to someone now,even if a
    district justice!Don't let it hang any longer.Get on it now.
  10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

if you send the letter yourself send it return receipt. hold on the that receipt for you documents. might have some weight in court that way you can show that they have received your letter. also keep a copy of the letter yourself