Getting Paid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Dec 9, 2007.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

I was wondering what the best way is to get your money from the customer. Like if are mwing and they are not home. Could you leave a invoice with a invelope and stamp. What is the best way I appreciate any help with this thanks.:usflag:

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i ran into that a couple times but simply left an invoice on thier door and they sent me thier payment, never had one Not pay, but next season will be my 3rd season and going to monthly billing for all my accounts. so i wont have to worry about weekly payments.

3. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

thanks for the info, so did your customers mail them to you from your address off your buisness card? i just worry sometimes about how i am going to collect the money. How are you going to do the monthly payment way? do they just send it in the mail? thanks for your help with this.

4. mowtivations lawncare

mowtivations lawncare LawnSite Member

ive only had one customer so far that hasnt paid me. i did her leaf removal and she said payment would be left in the mailbox but when i opened the mailbox it wasnt in there. She hasnt returned any of my calls and i'm giving her 'til tuesday to either contact me or pay me. If she doesnt, i'm dumping all the leaves i have on my trailer on her driveway.

5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a local 'We haul it' guy dump some tires on a non-payers' driveway, he got ticketed for trespassing, then ticketed by Conservation dept. for littering, And extras b/c tires are a restricted trash item.:cry:

6. mowtivations lawncare

im not littering or leaving tires, i'm simply returning what i was NOT paid to pick up lol

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Trying to get customers to pay per cut ends up being a big problem as you business grows. They will sometimes send it in immediately if you leave a preaddressed envelope and stamp. But when you get going weekly they get confused about which mowing they payed for and which one they still owe. The best way is to do a montly billing and it needs to be the same each month ....so do an average for the period you select.. We do a yearly with payments around $50 per month.

8. mowtivations lawncare

i see YOUR point, but what if the customer prefers to pay by the week as opposed to by the month? how do you go about informing a customer that you prefer to cut every week as opposed to bi weekly or when THEY deem it necessary ?

9. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

yeah all those points are points that i worry about. i guess i need to just talk with the cutomer and try to get it on a monthly bill. it would be easier for me and them i think. as for the non payer i would do the same thing. i mean it's not like thi swork is easy or free!

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply tell them you charge double for one time cuts on THEIR schedule. If you are able to put them on your regular weekly or bi-weekly schedule, then they can have service at normal price. Weeds them out pretty quickly. As far as them preferring to pay weekly, and screw up your books, just charge them a surcharge (Just like your insurance co. does to you if you prefer to pay monthly vs. paid in full one payment each year).