Getting Paid

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Fwilamosky, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

So I've have a pretty good year this far but I have been fed up with a few of my residential clients not paying in a responsible manner. I want to know what other LCOs are doing to encourage clients to pay on time and if they offer discounts to paying earlier and or penalties for paying to late? I was thinking about having all clients next sign a service agreement saying they will be penalized for paying late

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just send the late ones an updated invoice with a 15% additional charge.

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Yep, and start looking for new customers. When they read the invoice they will most likely drop your service.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Deal with them this year, and replace them next year.

5. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got paid today....
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

After getting hung with a few bums in recent years, I decided this year I was not going to tolerate slow payers. Two weeks into the month, if the previous month's invoice wasn't paid, I stopped service. Had a new customer that tried me in July. Kept sending him reminders and he never would respond. After I serviced the lawn the second time in August, I sent him a message saying that this would be his last service until the July invoice was paid. Low and behold, next day he pays up. Get through August, send invoice and once again start sending reminders. No reply. After the second visit I send another message saying this is your last service. No reply. Called him asking for payment. Would hang up on me. Ok. kept Sending reminders. No response. Called again. Hang up. Left invoice stuck in front door. One more call, again hung up. Decided I'd given him every chance. Had all the makings for another bum that had hung me. Left him a little reminder that he couldn't miss....

pay up.jpg

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Option 1: Send each of them a demand letter via certified mail. Indicate that you require payment in full in the form of credit card or bank check only, due 10 days from the date of the letter. Also indicate that failure to pay will result in litigation, and if you win that they will have to pay any court costs.
    Option 2: Give me your clients' contact info and I'll collect for 50% of the amount owed.

8. Premier GreenScape

Premier GreenScape LawnSite Member

I have a client that is a collections/recovery agent if I have someone that is past due and has refused to respond I will call him.

9. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

How many people here use a service that just auto deducts from the clients account? Is it worth the fees to do (subscription style)?

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahaha Love it!! Did he pay after that?? Or call the cops?