1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting parts together for the late spring and summer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Smalltimer1, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting parts together for this coming mowing season and I need some suggestions on what to try to find.

I'm getting ready to go on Christmas Break from school next week and I'm gonna be out for a month, so I'm trying to get things together for the spring and summer as far as mower parts are concerned.

I need some suggestions as to what kinds of machines to look for that are common for things to go bad on. I am going to hit the backlots of all the dealers around here, because they usually just abandon the dead machines back there. I know of where a diesel F-725 JD is that caught on fire that I could get cheap if not free. They say its been picked over, but I think I could rebuild the engine on it and use it in something else if its not too far gone. I also patrol the local dumps for such machines.

I am stocking up on starters, pulleys, carburetors and other common items from what I know right now.

But anyway, what brands of machines do I need to look for and what parts off those machines should I pull and clean up for sale?

Thanks for any help. This is the first year I will be getting into commercial machines. I still will have residential machines as well too.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Spindles and idler pulleys. They are very popular items to be replaced on commercial mowers.
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

In your travels and adventures, keep an eye out for that stander that needs some work, the one I am looking for and the one that you are going to sell to me. I am in Florida for the winter, and will stop by on my drive North in March to pick it up. Let me know when you trip over it...and, thanks a lot.
  4. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I've got a Woods 1850 with a D5218 deck in good shape. New seat, clutch, battery and overhaul about 100hrs. old. TT~1990hrs. No smoke, runs and drives nice.

Email if you're in the area. (South Texas) :D

Forgot to mention:
    It HAD a nice surry top until I ran it under a Mesquite tree. :(
  5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, CCWKen, thanks for the offer and thinking of me...but...I'm in Florida for the winter, and returning to the Northeast in late March. I don't really plan on going to Texas anytime real soon, and I think that shipping could get a little ugly on the mower. Thanks again, though. JIM.
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll keep my ears and eyes open for one for you. I can roam through one dealer's lot at my will and the others will let me browse for a little bit at a time. I'll let you know if I have any luck.