1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Past the Gatekeeper

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sailinstud420, Feb 9, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

So you walk into a building to give a commerical bid and are confronted by the secretary (gatekeeper), you say you would like to speak with the building owner, and he/she proceeds to tell you that he is busy. What's your next move? Or better yet, the secretary says they already have a lawn service and they are probably not interested?
  2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her your the KeyMaster!

Really Try to set up an appointment to meet with the Super of the Building

3. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

as long as we are on the topic. What paperwork do you offer to them? I am assuming some kind of flyer with all the different services you offer. I was also thinking a proposal with the price on it, (easy to find and lays out the services that are covered in that price). A list of references, and a contract for them to sign and return. Anything else I may be forgetting?
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Flirt like crazy and complement her!Give her a GREAT big smile and tell her you are willing to wait.To please tell him you are there to see him.Act as though you are expected..like you have already spoken to the boss.
  5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont ask for the owner, ask for the maintenace guy he's usually in charge of getting the lawn bids.
  6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I thought when I read the preview for this thread....lol:p
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes the gatekeeper is also the decision maker.