Getting Pavers Square

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Mar 16, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I always try to srart off of something square. Most of the time, the house. Pavers that are not installed square to the house look like schit. Always use a TON of string lines. On big jobs i will have string lines running every which way.

Learn how to use string lines and keep bond lines stright before you attempt any pool decks.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well, how did theyy do it in the days before laser?

Did they just do whatever and how it ended is how it ended?

OF COURSE NOT!

They *PULLED CORNERS*!

Multiples of 3, 4, & 5.

And thats what we do.

for mall things we'll use the paver square. But most of the time we just pull corners.

4. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks mrusk we will not be doing pool decks anytime soon. DVS thats one of the things I need to learn. I know all about the 3-4-5 triangle and its multiples. Do you just drive a few stakes in the ground two centered in the base(center of paved area) and one on the outside and run string lines and at the 3-4-5(or multiple) lenghts? Have any pics?

Thanks
    Justin

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

You can get things square with a broken stick and some straw bale twine.
    Which makes it all the more amazing the guys who cant.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

That laser won't do you a lick of good in the daylight. From your corner measure 4' down the walk, from that same corner measure 3' across the walk, the measurement between points should be 5'

Chris

7. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks Chris

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember to read the same side of the tape when checking the 5' (or increment of 5') measurement.

9. NewHorizon's Land

Ok I got the whole 3-4-5 now and I understand the method. DO you use grade stakes or the spikes for the edge restraint and tie string to it? Then ho do you get the far end square with the near end? String line from both 3' marks?

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Use whatever you have that you can pound into the ground and tie a string to. I've used rebar, grade (Dee) stakes, spikes, you name it, it's been used. Prefer grade stakes or rebar though.

You have to keep the bond lines running straight throughout the entire project. To do this, you need to be running strings every which way, checking those bond lines. If you are working on a curved walkway, you need to be checking to make sure your strings are parallel to each other, and the pavers straight to the strings.