getting people to listen, i got 2 guys working for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Jun 11, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I got 3 guys working for me one guy is always with me and one is always with a foreman. I was wondering what i have to do to get these guys to listen. I dont usually scream at anyone or ne thing like that. I just cant believe how the truck gets so dirty inside and they dont wear the right uniforms and it just gets to be a big pig looking company. I need everything clean and i dont know how to inforce it. Should i really yell and get it done or what?

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

eh say this CLEAN OUT THE ******* TRUCKS, AND WEAR THE RIGHT GOD DAMNED UNIFORMES OR YOUR FIRED, ******* FIRED! that should get their attention, and maybe get the trucks clean.
  3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would charge them off of their paycheck each time the truck gets dirty or you have to tell them what to do more then twice. That should get them to listen real quick. :)
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain, but ya gotta pick your battles. Quality, efficiency and not abusing equipment are my biggest peeves. I literally walked everyone around the shop pointing to this & that piece of equipment quoting the replacement cost. I realize for the most part the attitude is "it isn't mine", I held this informative tour to illustrate how when it became time to prematurely replace a piece of abused equipment I may be forced to choose... employee or replace $500 backpack blower, $8-$10k mower, etc. basically told them there would be no choice, equipment needs would come first.
    I have no problem with equipment wearing out through normal commercial use, I do however take umbrage at equipment wearing out prematurely through mis-use.
    I could care less about a few extra smoke breaks (not in vehicles or at client props though) as long as the "Big Three" are being taken care of.
    Chewing a$$ is one of those things that will have to be done from time to time, I just make sure when a job is being well done I acknowledge that also.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

taking off from the paycheck will get you knee deep with the DoL!

Try positive re-inforcement. Give a bonus for the truck staying clean, a bonus to the guy who wears the right uniform for the most consecutive days, etc. make them feel like they're part of a team.
  6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Train them like a dog, if they dont listen or are miss behaving, give them a good slap on their hind end. will get their attention real quick, and doesnt usually have to be repeated.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Treat them like little kids. tell them to clean the truck , then stand there and watch over them. Keep on them by saying things like " Get that up too." Or "wipe that down a little better." Or when they finally do wear their uniform, walk up to them, tuck in their shirt and say "Now doesn't that look nice?"
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Make fun of them about it, soon as the return from working jus make comments "Geez next time Im at your house ill make sure to leave my lunch on the floor too"....stuff like that will make them chuckle n get the point. Or Throw on your uniform funny lookin and walk around pretend to be like them and then jus "comon wear it right, okay guys" If that doesnt work, yell at your foreman, tell him your problems, thats the reason he is your foreman, he suppose to 1. prevent these things from happening 2. Fix these problems when they occur.

9. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

Yelling is false authority, bosses that yell have a confidence problem.

Tell them to do it. If they don't do it, explain to them that it isn't optional and tell them to do it again. If they don't do it the 2nd time, write them up for failure to follow instructions and tell them a 3rd time. If they don't do it a 3rd time, fire one of them and make the remaining guy do it alone; or fire both of them.

The next time, anyone you didn't fire gets a writeup after the first time. If, after that, you have to tell him a 2nd time then just get rid of him.

Make sure your foreman's word is the same as yours, meaning if they don't do what he says they get fired just as if it were you telling them.

If they don't do what you tell them it's because the don't fear any consequences. I'm long past the point where I tolerate lateness or telling people two or three times to do something. The people that do what they are supposed to get treated like family, people that don't -- get fired.

some tips:
    1. when people do what they are supposed to, treat them well and reward them in small ways... buy them a coke, pat on the back or just spend a few minutes talking to them, etc.
    2. make it easier to do the right thing than to do the wrong thing
    3. never yell :nono:
    4. do it or don't do it, but never threaten to do anything
    5. never threaten to fire someone
    6. never threaten a write up
    7. never tell someone a 4th time, they should be fired by then
    8. objectively document everthing... don't say 'Joe is lazy', say 'Joe takes breaks outside of scheduled break times while his coworkers are working'
  10. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

No, don't do that. It's stupid and a good way to either get sued or knocked in the head with a shovel.

Don't treat your employees like dogs or children, if you can't manage them you shouldn't hire them.