1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready for new endeavor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frazier, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Frazier

Frazier LawnSite Member

I have been spending alot of hours getting ready for the upcomming season. My father and i are going to try out the commercial lawn care buisness. We are in the process of getting licensed and insured so that will answer alot of the questions.

As far as marketing goes, we have been distributing fliers to the neiborhoods we would like to work. Looking into door hangers and maybe a spot in the classifieds when the weather starts to turn. So far we have commitments from a handful of residentials and only one commercial account so far.

My father and I will be going solo and are looking to pick up some equiptment. So far we have a push mower and an echo string trimmer and a cheap backup. Also i have a echo 48cc backpack blower and a 18 foot commercial trailer. We are strongly looking at an exmark metro 48" gear drive with the 15 kohler. We have found what seems to be a good price from a reputable dealer in the area of $2800. The HP is another 1000 so not sure that its worth it starting out.

The way i look at the exmark purchase is: If for one reason or another we end up struggling, I would still own the exmark for my own use and have a great mower at a reasonable price.

I have been browsing the forums for a couple months listening to you all and trying to be wise about my next steps. Any input is highly welcomed and appreciated. Do you think I am starting of in the right direction? I do work another job on late 2nds. So if getting started is slow it is something i am able to deal with. However, my father and i are commited to making it in the lawn care buisness. Any ideas or suggestions you have ...send em my way. Suggestions on equiptment too!

Thanks for your time guys
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If you are just starting out and only have a handful of accounts, why not get a w/b 5 or 6 years old. Spend the extra on some marketing and good stationary. Then once the workload gets big enough finance a new big machine. I personally would fell better with no over head than with a payment every month and only a couple of jobs. my 0.2
  3. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

I cannot offer much advice but just do more than the customer expects, doing great work can't do anything but good ! Good luck in your new buisness!