Getting ready for next year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TazLandscapes, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes LawnSite Member

Now that my season is getting ready to come to a close.I am starting to think about next year.i want to add more services to my business other than lawnmowing.I am going to add new lawn installs like sod and seed.tree,flower and bush plantings,light hardscaping like walkways and patios.And lawn dethaching and aerating.But i am having trouble trying to think about how i should go about marketing it.And how hard is it to price diffrent jobs out.And i am looking for a book or software that will help me identify diffrent types of plants and trees for my region.
    any help is appreciated

Thanks

Mike

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I love sod installs. You can prep the soil and then have a couple guys lay the sod while you're off doing other work. Aeration/over seeding is a great way to kick start the year and really jack up profits quick.

As for hardscapes, I suggest staying away from that because there's work to be had in other areas without the learning curve and room for error hardscaping has when you're new.

Good Luck!

3. TazLandscapes

How would i be able to do over seeding. I know how to do dethatching and aeration but overseeding i do not know how to do.what types of seed do i use and do i have to have a license to do this.

mike

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No license needed for seed because it's not a chemical, I would stick to the type of grass that is most commonly sold in stores and also ask around, in my case I use fescue because it's the most common in my area.

You also want at least 90% germination rate, most grasses of this caliber should be 0.1% or less weed but watch for this and make sure as well... It may not sound like much of a difference to get 85% g.rate at 0.4% weed but it is.

You will in time learn how different soil conditions further affect growth and germination, but that comes later.

Then it's usually 50 pounds per 1/4 acre, at this rate it gets a bit pricey but if you don't question that formula you'll have results.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As for marketing and all that, you may want to slow down a little and do one thing at a time.
    Anytime you offer a new service it is a learning experience so it will slow you down and cost you.
    Tackle this one at a time or it could be too much.
    Pick one thing and then simply add the service to your existing ad, that's it.

6. TazLandscapes

thanks guys for the help. on the hardscape part of it.i have 2 new customers that i got for year round work and one wants me to put in a simple walkway and the other wants me to put in a walkway and small patio in for her.i am going to work with people i know and ask for help if i need it but i have only done this one or two times with other lco that i used to work for.I do not want to make it a full blown thing but try and gradually do it for just my customers or not.
    Also does anybody know where i can fid a website or something to help me design a logo i have been trying to do it on paper but i want to try and do it on the computer.

And where can i find either a book or cd on diffrent flowers,bushes and trees for my region.

thanks
    mike

7. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

Check out the University of Maine Extension Service. They should have excellent information and other resources for your area.

8. TazLandscapes

well i have thought about it and i am adding two new services on to my company.New sod install and tree,,flower and shrubery plantings.but i am having a problem just trying to think how to price these diffrent jobs out.
    I charge $45 an hour per person.but i was told it has to be priced different than that..

Also i took on two new year round customers and they both want new walkways put in and i am just trying to figure the jobs out like pricing.i have already said yes to them and brought them drawings of the design and i would like to do these two jobs.I dont want to get full blown into hardscaping but just a couple of jobs a year.Until i get more educated about it.

Also i wll be doing edging this year for lawncare.I have never done it before and i have alot of my customers asking me this.i was thinking about charging $5-10 a yard.What do you guys think

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

9. TazLandscapes

i am trying to get into my local community college they got an awesome horticulture class.

mike

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

check with Southern Maine University in Portland because they will have the book your looking for.