Getting Ready for Winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FS Lawn, Oct 10, 2003.

1. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

What is the best way to "winterize" your equipment? I am mainley concerned about things such as weed eaters etc.
    What is the best way to prevent the fuel from going bad , drain ot stabill ?
    Winter in the South is nothing like some of you other guys get , I'm just trying to avoid trouble with my equipment..
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I drain the fuel from 2 cycles. Change the spark plugs, change the fuel filter, and change the air filter. For it's all ready for next year.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

In the last tanks I put Sta-Bil in the mix and run it. To winterize I spray fogging oil into the carb until she chokes out. Screw the plug back in loosly and put it away.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

drain trimmers, blowers, edgers, anything that is gas oil mix. put staybill in lawn mowers/other equipment, and make sure there gas tanks are as full as i can get them, this helps reduce the risk of condensation/water build up with changing of temp. fog the cylinders with oil, change engine oil, and then in the spring replace spark plugs, and all the filters. (you don't want old oil sitting in the engine over a long period of time.)and make sure everything is greased well, check belts/hose's, etc.. i throw a coat of wax (stainless steel polish) on also, and cover them with a tarp. i do start them over the winter, sometimes i take them for a spin in the snow, ZTR's do great dounuts!!
  5. illday

illday LawnSite Member

I was recently told to run all the gas out of all my equipment and
    change the oil in all my machines. Does this sound rite. This is my
    1st year of winter storage.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

stabill here.